• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genetic mutation and supplement/lifestyle help and advice!

Hello everyone,

I'm having quite a difficult time trying to figure out just what I should do. This methylation issue has just been baffling me and I could REALLY use some help.

For about a year and a half now I haven't been myself; I cannot think clearly and it takes me three times longer to think of something that I could have come up with in a second. I am easily depressed and discouraged to even peruse anything. Coupled with brain fog and depression, I also have pretty bad anxiety and irritability. The smallest issues during the day will throw me into a loop. I've been working on better habits and improving my lifestyle (I am a avid gym goer, eat healthy, and drink tons of water, read a ton, etc).

About 4-6 months ago, I started taking methylated vitamins (methylfolate,methylcobalamin,biovite,b-right)... I felt good for about 3-4 days and then the extreme irritability and depression started to set in. I read Dr. Walsh's books and found out I may be making the issue worse. I added in niacin to "quench" the methlyation. That seemed to take the edge off a bit. Dr. Lynch says taking niacin and methylated vitamins is like having your foot on the gas and brake at the same time. I felt better taking the over the counter Costco Kirkland brand of b-vitamins (folic acid) . Needless to say...I'm so confused and lost.. I really need some help and would appreciate it very very much. I want to get my life back on track and get out of this horrible feeling that looms over me all day everyday.

Please help if you can.

I attached my NutraHacker and LiveWello.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 18
  • NutraHacker_Detox_and_Methylation_Report_Customer_d7b726d0-8f20-43cf-8682-09d4e7570626 (1).pdf
    7.4 KB · Views: 12
I attached my NutraHacker and LiveWello.
Your results look pretty normal. MTHFR C677T +/- means the enzyme is operating at 65% of its maximal capacity, but the MTHFR mutations are so common that 70% is average in the general population. So at most, it might be a good idea to make sure you're getting vegetables in your diet, or getting a normal dose (400-800mcg) of folate from a multivitamin or B complex.

MTRR A66G can cause methylB12 recycling to slow down quite a bit, but only when homozygous or compound heterozygous with another serious mutation on the same gene. Neither applies to you, so there's pretty much no impact there.

CBS C699T +/+ is the better version for that SNP, and only has a very mild impact anyhow. The rest of the results are pretty meaningless.

If you're taking B-right, you really don't need more folate, and personally I feel pretty awful if I take to much of that. Some people also don't get along well with large amounts of methylB12, regardless of the claims about MAOA, VDR, COMT, etc, and do better with hydroxoB12.

@Valentijn Thank you very much!
I had a hunch I was taking too much methylfolate. I was taking around 800mcg a day (400 morning and 400 afternoon) and I felt as though it was doing more harm than good. I was not clear-headed and I was feeling more emotionally unstable than anything else. My days were,and are, unstable from an emotionally and cognitive level. I lowered my dose of methylfolate to 400mcg and around 5500mcg of methylcobalamin sublingually. I was thinking of switching to folinic acid. Do you think this is a better move?

I lowered my dose of methylfolate to 400mcg and around 5500mcg of methylcobalamin sublingually. I was thinking of switching to folinic acid. Do you think this is a better move?
No idea. Different things work for different people. And sometimes nothing (related to methylation, B12, etc) helps at all.

No idea. Different things work for different people. And sometimes nothing (related to methylation, B12, etc) helps at all.
I know not to depend on NutraHacker too much, but it lists multiple different areas that say to steer clear of methylated compounds. I figure because I felt better when taking a "regular" b compound, that it should ring true on some level. If my body is given the folate in one form or another, it'll convert as needed is my logic.