• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valtrex treatment, too soon?

Jimbo39

My new CFS doc has started me on Valtrex (1,000 mg) for 4 months followed by herbal antivirals. I'm just wondering if too soon. I've read that inflammation in the gut needs to be addressed first. I haven't even started on a B vitamin protocol. Is my body ready for this?

Anyway, I'm scrambling to read as much as I can about antiviral treatments. Reading @Matt.C thread has been very helpful. I read the Marshall Protocol but this seems to be more of an anti bacterial treatment. A 4 year treatment seems to suggest that those same being treated have severe inflammation and autoimmunity. What are the tests to determine if one falls under this category? Although I'm not (as yet) following this protocol, should I avoid vitamin C?

Re: IRIS. I'm not sure I understand this. Is it an inflammatory response caused by a reactivation of your immune cells?

Has anyone tried Byron White formulas?

Day 4- gut pain and diarrhea.

Jimbo39

I meant vitamin D.

How can antivirals cause neutropenia? I thought they increase your white blood cells?

Trying to read Lerner's and DeMeirleir's treatments.

Jimbo39

Correction-my treatment is only for 4 weeks not 4 months. This doesn't seen long enough judging by other threads. Is the length of your treatment based on the severity of infection? Could this result in viral resistance?

BTW, I'm being treated for EBV.

Jimbo39

Here's my test results

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 18

Jimbo39

I'm missing EBNA. So according to Lab Tests Online, I may have an early primary infection if its negative or a past infection if it's positive.

Dr. Lerner and Dr. Glaser believe that increased levels of antibodies to nonstructural proteins indicate a smoldering but still problematic EBV infection.

I don't know what a nonstructural protein is. Could someone help me?

Dr. Montoya believes, however, high IgG levels found in combination with other clinical signs of chronic fatigue syndrome accurately reflect EBV reactivation.

Mine is thro the roof. Are high IgG levels the primary factor in determining active EBV? If so, wouldn't my Early Antigen level reflect this?

C-reactive protein seems to be a marker for inflammation. Is it reliable? Can there be false negatives?

edawg81

IGM is unusual for reactive EBV from my experience of being in the CEBV forum on facebook. To me it might mean the initial infection was never resolved, and might want to consider that there is some comprised immune response (but I'm not a doctor). Antibodies to nonstructural proteins makes me think this is the "non-permissive" replication that Lerner theorized about. That the replication terminates at a stage and you don't get viral proteins but non-structured proteins. I don't think this would fit your with high IGM values, but who knows.

See: http://www.treatmentcenterforcfs.co...y-gene-expression-induces-host-cel_022111.pdf for a good illustration of non-permissive replication.

Maybe these proteins might respond to a standard immuoglobbin test?

https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/immunoglobulins/tab/test/

That said I have high IGG VCA, IGG EBNA, and IGG EA, but am IGM negative. Also PCR negative. I'm on 1g twice a day of Valtrex with not much improvement and it seemed to worsen my insomnia, although I have had my ups and downs.