• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A cost effectiveness of the PACE trial

Bob

An example of poor methodology is the cost for SMC given for every group. Seeing as SMC was the main control condition, and was a controllable variable, then the cost for SMC should be identical for each participant for each group, or roughly identical across groups. But, oh what a surprise, in table 3, the SMC-group costs for SMC are £358 whereas the other groups are £213-£230, which is as low as 59% of the costs for the SMC group. This is a large cost discrepancy, and a bias, that the investigators have consciously introduced into the study.

Last edited:

user9876

An example of poor methodology is the cost for SMC given for every group. Seeing as SMC was the main control condition, and was a controllable variable, then the cost for SMC should be identical for each participant for each group, or roughly identical across groups. But, oh what a surprise, in table 3, the SMC-group costs for SMC are £358 whereas the other groups are £213-£230, which is as low as 59% of the costs for the SMC group. This is a large cost discrepancy, and a bias, that the investigators have consciously introduced into the study.

One of the big issues with studies like this is it gets hard to control for every possible variable and some that never occurred to the trail designers. It is one of the reasons I think that reliance on RCTs as a blackbox methodology is wrong and not scientific. The idea tried to borrow from science but in a way that cannot be adequately done.

Didn't the SMC only group attend (on average) an extra session of SMC?

Yes, the SMC-group received more sessions of SMC. My point is that they should have received the same amount of SMC seeing as it was a control group. This was a variable entirely controlled by the trial investigators.

I think that all patients had the option of a number of sessions of SMC, but different patients chose to attend different numbers of sessions. It's a bit odd, but given the other problems with the design, I don't know if they had an ideal solution.