• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Idiopathic Anaphylaxis improved by Rituximab! (Link included)

Gingergrrl

https://aaaai.confex.com/aaaai/2014/webprogram/Paper11904.html

My friend @Ema sent me this link and am posting it here with her permission re: a patient with idiopathic anaphylaxis who failed every treatment but improved with RTX! I wanted to see if anyone has heard of this happening before?

I do not have idiopathic anaphylaxis and mine is part of MCAS and triggered by foods, food dyes, histamine, etc. I am hoping to try RTX to reduce auto-antibodies to improve my entire situation but if it could help allergic reactions, that would be an added bonus!

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
@Jonathan Edwards @deleder2k @Freddy @Marky90

Have you ever heard of this? Am curious of the mechanism that could make this work?

The mechanism would be easy - the rituximab would lead to a fall in levels of antibodies causing the anaphylaxis. The early response at 10 days is peculiar though. And we do not have any information about changes in IgE levels as far as I can see from the abstract.

Gingergrrl

The mechanism would be easy - the rituximab would lead to a fall in levels of antibodies causing the anaphylaxis. The early response at 10 days is peculiar though. And we do not have any information about changes in IgE levels as far as I can see from the abstract.

Are there certain auto-antibodies that cause anaphylaxis? Would a "normal" response take several months vs. ten days? Also, if the girl in abstract had allergic reactions from MCAS, they would not be IgE mediated from my understanding?