• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Younger - Association of Leptin with Body Pain in Women - Fibromyalgia

Bob

This doesn't seem to be on the forum...

Fibromyalgia study.

Association of Leptin with Body Pain in Women
Younger J, Kapphahn K, Brennan K, Sullivan SD, Stefanick ML.
Womens Health (Larchmt). 2016 Mar 30. [Epub ahead of print]
doi:10.1089/jwh.2015.5509.
http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/jwh.2015.5509?mobileUi=0
Abstract
Leptin, an appetite-regulatory hormone, is also known to act as a proinflammatory adipokine. One of the effects of increased systemic leptin concentrations may be greater sensitivity to pain. We report the results of two studies examining the association between leptin and pain: a small pilot longitudinal study, followed by a large cross-sectional study. In Study 1, three women with physician-diagnosed fibromyalgia provided blood draws daily for 25 consecutive days, as well as daily self-reported musculoskeletal pain. Daily fluctuations in serum leptin were positively associated with pain across all three participants (F (1,63) = 12.8, p < 0.001), with leptin predicting ∼49% of the pain variance. In Study 2, the relationship between leptin and body pain was examined in a retrospective cross-sectional analysis of 5676 generally healthy postmenopausal women from the Women's Health Initiative. Leptin levels obtained from single blood draws were tested for a relationship with self-reported body pain. Body mass index (BMI) was also included as a predictor of pain. Both leptin and BMI were found to be independently associated with self-reported pain (p = 0.001 and p < 0.001, respectively), with higher leptin levels and greater BMI each being associated with greater pain. Leptin appears to be a predictor of body pain both within- and between-individuals and may be a driver of generalized pain states such as fibromyalgia.

Last edited:

Bob

News Article...

Fibromyalgia News Today.
Leptin Tied to Bodily Pain, Predicts Fibromyalgia Pain Levels, Researchers Say
APRIL 4, 2016
BY MAGDALENA KEGEL
http://fibromyalgianewstoday.com/20...ly-pain-predicts-pain-levels-in-fibromyalgia/
Leptin – a factor well-known for its role in controlling appetite – might be a driver of bodily pain, according to a new report. Investigating levels of the molecule in both women with fibromyalgia and healthy women has provided scientists with clues of the underlying processes of pain signaling and might lead to better future pain treatments.

Richard7

When I listened to that interview I had no idea that N=3 for that 25 day study; my impression was that it was ME/CFS and Fibro patients, not patients who had both conditions; and I thought it was all CFS symptoms not just pain.

JY: Yeah. What we did originally, we didn’t know, but we suspected it was an immune, inflammatory-driven problem, just from looking at other literature. So we did daily blood draws for 25 days, which no one ever does.

So, as far as I know, we’re the first to ever try this and people thought that we were crazy. You have to use really good nurses and really really tiny needles to pull this off. If you’re good, you can actually get people to come in every day and their arms look pretty okay at the end of 25 days-believe it or not. So we took these blood draws and we looked at 50 different inflammatory markers; and in both chronic fatigue syndrome and in pain, which I haven’t published. In fact, that was just accepted. Probably, that’s going to come out, probably in the next week. So now we see in chronic pain, fibromyalgia as well, the same thing: leptin is the best predictor of good days and bad days. So, if the leptin in your blood is high, you’re going to have a severe fatigue day or a severe pain day. If it’s low, that’s a relatively good day. And that’s probably the case for at least three-fourths of the people in this study. So, the majority show that leptin and pain or fatigue relationship. We weren’t looking for it in particular at first, but it came out in both studies and now it’s something we’re going to start focusing on because it doesn’t look like a coincidence. Something’s going on.

The abstract seems to say something different: that leptin levels are associated with pain in both women with fibro and healthy post menopausal women.

Deltrus

Is this your page? So guy had/has Chronic Fatigue and NOT CFS? Or is this a European thing? Where they like to diagnose CF and not CFS?

GG

This isn't my page. I'm not sure about what Cohen has. From just little blurbs it sounds like chronic fatigue, lectin sensitivity etc but he's managing it well. I'm not sure if the distinction of CFS and CF matters much considering how many subtypes of CFS there are.

CCC

Chronic fatigue can often be shorthand for ME/CFS. It's what we called it until we came to PR.