• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

World Map of ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I couldn't join anonymously. They required my street address (not just city & state) and e-mail.

John Mac

I was able to put my address as the centre of my city just my putting the city name in, I actually live 10 miles from the centre.
I don't think it has to be an accurate address.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I think the mistake I made was not clicking on 'Find' before hitting 'Next'.

I put myself in a park. I considered the cemetery, but decided against.

Oops, we got stuck on e-mail and month of birth again. I don't know who is behind the map and I am not giving them that information.

JohnCB

Immoderate
Oops, we got stuck on e-mail and month of birth again. I don't know who is behind the map and I am not giving them that information.

Have you considered throw away email addresses? I'm looking at this at present. Wikipedia do an article on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disposable_email_address and there is tons of stuff if you Google on throw away email or similar terms. There are websites that offer various different approaches to this so you need to think what you are trying to achieve. Different people want different things, perhaps time limited or limited to the number of responses. Of course you have to think what the throw away email providers are getting out of this too. Who do you trust in the end.

My main approach to this for some years is to have and internet domain of my own, such as example.com and then I can make up individual addresses for different purposes and use say phoenixrising@example.com to register here. That way if you register a unique email with a dodgy site and you start getting unwanted email, you can route it into your spam folder.

In the UK it is pretty cheap to register domains and you can even get a .me.uk domain (where me is the pronoun, meaning the domain is intended for personal use) such example.me.uk. I have registered a couple of domains through a domain hosting comapny called 1&1 at https://www.1and1.co.uk/. There are cheap and they have been reliable for me for about 15 years. You can just register a domain with them and use their free service to forward email and website to your ISP and collect you email that way. They offer a webmail service too.

I think they operate in the USA too. They are a German company.