• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neurological overload symptoms, help

I had this happen before and it took me 4 years to get into a state of life where I could take care of myself. I took antibiotics and I don't know if it was the drugs or a yeast explosion but I swear, I went from healthy and really fit and normal to all of the sudden being floored with neurological overload. Tons of anxiety, sensitivity to sounds, depression, suicidal thoughts and very strange thoughts (not my normal chipper self) and it took me a LONG time to recover from that. And I didn't recover all the way. I had a lot of muscle twitching, couldn't walk more than 50 feet before the symptoms started to come back, couldn't exert myself in any way. When Mike Desser's story mentions him having to lay in the room by himself with the lights off and sounds off, that's what it felt like. The anxiety and acute symptoms that made me want to die went away but changed into really bad GI issues and symptoms and SEID. Over the course of 4 long years and trying everything, I made my way into remission and actually to my very surprise, got a full time job.

I still had food sensitivities, a bad GI, but was able to push through. I got a tattoo and for some reason, I believe the chemicals or ink inside of the tattoo my neurological system went haywire. I woke up in a panic one night and slowly started to have strange issues and them now I am fully disabled again. I have read everything on the planet trust me, klinghardt, freddd protocol, buttar, yasko, interviews, lyme, candida, CFS, SEID, everything and I have yet to find 1 person who has a strange but disabling and ACUTE incident like this to something. A tattoo? If I had known, I would've never gotten it obviously. I made sure to research it was simple black and they used the ink that was tested with organic ingredients with no heavy metals but I think it may have been too much for my immune or nervous system as it's been 2 full weeks of disability and I'm still having really bad issues. Any exertion is met with cold sweats, muscle twitching, sensitivity to sounds, brain fog, and a sense of anxiety like my nervous system cannot take much of anything right now. Cant leave the house.

Right now I only have 1 solution - time. Wait until it clears itself? I dont know if that's possible i mean the tattoo is in my body. Im so sick I cant leave the house, how am I supposed to see doctors? The catch22 I remember quite well from my earlier years of illness. Thought about just toughing it out and finding a surgeon to cut out the tattoo and do a skin draft but then the general anesthetic and everything else might make me even worse.

I really cant do this much longer. Any ideas at all?? It's been maybe 3 years since I checked on this forum since I had recovered my health and it came crashing down very quickly.

It seems like some people with CFS only have fatigue. I have Multiple chemical sensitivities, a wrecked gut, neurological issues..like I dont even know where to begin and neither do doctors.

Could this be mercury or heavy metals? I got tested both blood, stool and hair and it never was high. And yet every chelation groups says testing doesnt matter. The only sign that would suggest it is related is when I eat cilantro, I get REALLY messed up. like neurological issues and tremors start to show up

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Hi @powertool4

I can't speak to GI symptoms and I wouldn't speak to anything like depression but the twitching might possibly be helped with magnesium suppl. There are threads here on PR on Mg I believe as there are different formulations. Some people mega dose--I would not suggest this but to start on one 150mg capsule/tablet and go up from there over time and see how it goes.

I've found Mg malate helpful as well as glycinate (an amino acid attached to Mg).

You said you think a lot of people just get fatigue with cfs--this is most definitely not the case. The confusion being that people can get chronic fatigue for many different reasons and chronic fatigue syndrome is badly named (to trivialise the illness).

Most everyone here suffers from many many symptoms with a wide variety of co-morbid conditions.
To see a proper diagnostic criteria see here: http://www.meao.ca/files/ME-Overview-English.pdf
It's a PDF and the criteria start on pg 2.

It's been a while since you've been here it seems. The forums have grown quite a lot I expect.
Your experience is why many of us speak of remission but not cure as we are aware that it can happen that symptoms worsen even years after the initial onset and subsequent improvement.

Old Bones

I got a tattoo and for some reason, I believe the chemicals or ink inside of the tattoo my neurological system went haywire. I woke up in a panic one night and slowly started to have strange issues and them now I am fully disabled again. I have read everything on the planet trust me, . . . .and I have yet to find 1 person who has a strange but disabling and ACUTE incident like this to something. A tattoo? If I had known, I would've never gotten it obviously. I made sure to research it was simple black and they used the ink that was tested with organic ingredients with no heavy metals but I think it may have been too much for my immune or nervous system as it's been 2 full weeks of disability and I'm still having really bad issues. . . . Any ideas at all??

@powertool4 I am so sorry to hear you are having serious symptoms after getting a tattoo. I have no personal experience, but it seems you are not alone, based on the article found here: http://www.naturalnews.com/043593_tattoos_heavy_metals_poisoning.html

Of course, reading this "after the fact" isn't helpful at all. However, it seems the advice that tattoo removal may be even more dangerous than getting a tattoo in the first place is worth considering.

The fact that you mention cilantro leads me to believe you have already done a search for "how to detox heavy metals". Perhaps your tremors and other neurological issues after eating cilantro is a good sign -- that it is working, and overloading your system with toxins. Maybe a smaller serving/dose (if tincture) would reduce your adverse reactions. Have you tried the other "detox" foods? They are:
Foods rich in vitamin C – Fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C can reduce the damage caused by heavy metal toxicity by acting as an antioxidant.
Other green vegetables – Green leafy vegetables like kale, spinach and parsley are detoxifying and can help reduce the buildup of heavy metals like mercury in the body.
Garlic and onions – These vegetables contain sulfur which helps your liver detoxify itself of heavy metals like lead and arsenic.
Water – Drink 8 ounces of water or vegetable juice every two hours to help flush out toxins.
Flax and chia seeds – Omega-3 fats and fiber can help with detoxification of the colon and reduce inflammation.

The top heavy metal detox supplements apparently are:
#1 Chlorella (4-8 caps daily)Acts as a natural chelator to remove heavy metals
#2 Vitamin C (3000 mg daily- during detoxification)Helps reduce free radicals
#3 Cilantro (tincture 2x per day)Helps with detoxification
(Did you try the tincture, or the whole herb?)
#4 Milk Thistle (150 mg 2x daily)Milk Thistle aids in detoxification of the liver
#5 Probiotics (50 billion units daily)Improves detoxification of gut and boosts immunity

Chelation therapy is also an option -- considered by some to be the most effective way to reduce serious heavy metal exposure. Again, no personal experience.

Although I'm sure it has been a very long two weeks for you, perhaps it is too soon to tell if your current symptoms will be long-term. I sincerely hope not. Do let us know how you are doing.

taniaaust1

they used the ink that was tested with organic ingredients with no heavy metals but I think it may have been too much for my immune or nervous system as it's been 2 full weeks of disability and I'm still having really bad issues.

Have you considered at all that it may not of been anything in that tattoo but rather then stress put onto the body while having it. They are very painful aren't they, so your body was placed under strain and pain for a time and along with that would of been high adrenaline hitting your system.

I have many years ago heard of someone getting ill from having a tattoo done.

If you got it removed that could be bad too as more body stress to do that and also on top of that you'd probably be given antibiotics which could also knock the body around along with the general anesthetic .. and it may not even be the ink.

I used to get severe neurological overload with the ME/CFS much like you describe (nowdays I still do get it but far more minor). My neuro overload was set off by over doing things and even when this trigger was removed, it was too late and it did take a long time to get over how I had that.

I took and others have to, in low dose a benzo drug called Klonopin (clonazepam) (something with Dr Cheney recommends) for this for myself that helped take the edge off of that overload though it was still there.

Last edited:

Justin30

I had this happen before and it took me 4 years to get into a state of life where I could take care of myself. I took antibiotics and I don't know if it was the drugs or a yeast explosion but I swear, I went from healthy and really fit and normal to all of the sudden being floored with neurological overload. Tons of anxiety, sensitivity to sounds, depression, suicidal thoughts and very strange thoughts (not my normal chipper self) and it took me a LONG time to recover from that. And I didn't recover all the way. I had a lot of muscle twitching, couldn't walk more than 50 feet before the symptoms started to come back, couldn't exert myself in any way. When Mike Desser's story mentions him having to lay in the room by himself with the lights off and sounds off, that's what it felt like. The anxiety and acute symptoms that made me want to die went away but changed into really bad GI issues and symptoms and SEID. Over the course of 4 long years and trying everything, I made my way into remission and actually to my very surprise, got a full time job.

I still had food sensitivities, a bad GI, but was able to push through. I got a tattoo and for some reason, I believe the chemicals or ink inside of the tattoo my neurological system went haywire. I woke up in a panic one night and slowly started to have strange issues and them now I am fully disabled again. I have read everything on the planet trust me, klinghardt, freddd protocol, buttar, yasko, interviews, lyme, candida, CFS, SEID, everything and I have yet to find 1 person who has a strange but disabling and ACUTE incident like this to something. A tattoo? If I had known, I would've never gotten it obviously. I made sure to research it was simple black and they used the ink that was tested with organic ingredients with no heavy metals but I think it may have been too much for my immune or nervous system as it's been 2 full weeks of disability and I'm still having really bad issues. Any exertion is met with cold sweats, muscle twitching, sensitivity to sounds, brain fog, and a sense of anxiety like my nervous system cannot take much of anything right now. Cant leave the house.

Right now I only have 1 solution - time. Wait until it clears itself? I dont know if that's possible i mean the tattoo is in my body. Im so sick I cant leave the house, how am I supposed to see doctors? The catch22 I remember quite well from my earlier years of illness. Thought about just toughing it out and finding a surgeon to cut out the tattoo and do a skin draft but then the general anesthetic and everything else might make me even worse.

I really cant do this much longer. Any ideas at all?? It's been maybe 3 years since I checked on this forum since I had recovered my health and it came crashing down very quickly.

It seems like some people with CFS only have fatigue. I have Multiple chemical sensitivities, a wrecked gut, neurological issues..like I dont even know where to begin and neither do doctors.

Could this be mercury or heavy metals? I got tested both blood, stool and hair and it never was high. And yet every chelation groups says testing doesnt matter. The only sign that would suggest it is related is when I eat cilantro, I get REALLY messed up. like neurological issues and tremors start to show up

Wow many sounds exactly what I am going through at this very moment....i have major neuro, twitching, blurred vision, anxiety, POTS, depression and pretty much any neuro symptom you can have....recently in the last 2 weeks i have had swollen glands and bad GI issues aling with Neuro Stuff (not as bad)

CLONEZAPAM- low dose as per Dr Chenney protocol online
MAGNESIUM GLYCINATE as per Dr Chenneys Dosage.....still works a bit
INJECTABLE MAGNESIUM AND TAURINE as per Dr Chenney Protocol.....not working as good as it used to.

I really like the theory of neurotoxicity and excitability and and NMDA agonists....makes sense too me.

I have tried Gabapentin but made me feel really weird.

The whole idea i guess is to keep yourself not so stimulated. Which is basicaly relax and rest and based on your remission this can happen.

One thing to note is that under stress either mental or physical the Gut GI track becomes more permeable. This has been shown by exercise testing in a study. My ND also specializes in CFS/ME and FM said the same thing.

I am not a Dr. I dont know what will work for you but I have had some success with what I tried.

My Dr. Now wants to work on the Gut and Immune system...

Hope you figure this out and get better.

Justin30

I know that detox pathways are messed up in ME/CFS and I believe you must address this with healthy diet and supplements.

If you can get testing done for immune and GI type things and if possible see a ME/CFS Expert.

I have never done chelation but have heard mixed reviews...

Have you considered at all that it may not of been anything in that tattoo but rather then stress put onto the body while having it. They are very painful aren't they, so your body was placed under strain and pain for a time and along with that would of been high adrenaline hitting your system.

I have many years ago heard of someone getting ill from having a tattoo done.

If you got it removed that could be bad too as more body stress to do that and also on top of that you'd probably be given antibiotics which could also knock the body around along with the general anesthetic .. and it may not even be the ink.

I used to get severe neurological overload with the ME/CFS much like you describe (nowdays I still do get it but far more minor). My neuro overload was set off by over doing things and even when this trigger was removed, it was too late and it did take a long time to get over how I had that.

I took and others have to, in low dose a benzo drug called Klonopin (clonazepam) (something with Dr Cheney recommends) for this for myself that helped take the edge off of that overload though it was still there.

Thank you, you're right. That's why I was debating whether or not I should have it removed. The general anesthetic and recovery from it might make me worse. I don't think it was the pain or stress of getting it, it's very small, it wasn't a big deal at all I might have fell asleep for a bit during. But it was after about 2 hours, I started to have brain fog creep in which I hadn't felt in years, and then the lightheadedness, the sensitivity to lights and sounds and all that stuff and I knew I messed up real bad. My biggest regret right now. I'm in a world of emotion, losing all my friends, feeling lost and hopeless. It also doesn't help that one of the symptoms is brain fog and depression/anxiety brought on by it, it's strange. it's not a normal feeling I'm not normally a depressed person, but my neurological system cant seem to take whatever is going on. I am hoping and praying that this will get to a tolerable level at least in the next few weeks.

I spent about 2 years or so in remission doing everything I basically wanted. Eating gluten, tons of sugar, alcohol basically everything I could not even have a little sip of when i was disabled. It was so weird. I also started lifting weights and working out and i physically looked good on the outside. Then I got hit with this. Could've been a long time coming, I dont know.

Right now, the hardest part is making it through every day. I can't sleep, i wake up unrested with my heart racing and feeling incredibly anxious, and then any movement or exertion floors me. Tired but unable to sleep, I swear it is hell. People also think you are crazy as they can not see or feel what you are feeling. I'm worried I won't be able to make it to my doctor's office tomorrow even though someone is driving me.

When neuro overload happened for you, what triggered it and how did you recover from it?

Wow many sounds exactly what I am going through at this very moment....i have major neuro, twitching, blurred vision, anxiety, POTS, depression and pretty much any neuro symptom you can have....recently in the last 2 weeks i have had swollen glands and bad GI issues aling with Neuro Stuff (not as bad)

CLONEZAPAM- low dose as per Dr Chenney protocol online
MAGNESIUM GLYCINATE as per Dr Chenneys Dosage.....still works a bit
INJECTABLE MAGNESIUM AND TAURINE as per Dr Chenney Protocol.....not working as good as it used to.

I really like the theory of neurotoxicity and excitability and and NMDA agonists....makes sense too me.

I have tried Gabapentin but made me feel really weird.

The whole idea i guess is to keep yourself not so stimulated. Which is basicaly relax and rest and based on your remission this can happen.

One thing to note is that under stress either mental or physical the Gut GI track becomes more permeable. This has been shown by exercise testing in a study. My ND also specializes in CFS/ME and FM said the same thing.

I am not a Dr. I dont know what will work for you but I have had some success with what I tried.

My Dr. Now wants to work on the Gut and Immune system...

Hope you figure this out and get better.

Thanks. So it is so bad, I cannot walk more than a few feet before symptoms start to kick in. I'm also extremely sensitive to anything. I thought i'd try a little crumb of a multi mineral tab that might help me to go to sleep... I woke up really groggy and in a fog and it's having some weird side effects. A neurological system that sensitive is such a hard situation to address, I literally cannot tolerate anything right now.

Justin30

Thank you, you're right. That's why I was debating whether or not I should have it removed. The general anesthetic and recovery from it might make me worse. I don't think it was the pain or stress of getting it, it's very small, it wasn't a big deal at all I might have fell asleep for a bit during. But it was after about 2 hours, I started to have brain fog creep in which I hadn't felt in years, and then the lightheadedness, the sensitivity to lights and sounds and all that stuff and I knew I messed up real bad. My biggest regret right now. I'm in a world of emotion, losing all my friends, feeling lost and hopeless. It also doesn't help that one of the symptoms is brain fog and depression/anxiety brought on by it, it's strange. it's not a normal feeling I'm not normally a depressed person, but my neurological system cant seem to take whatever is going on. I am hoping and praying that this will get to a tolerable level at least in the next few weeks.

I spent about 2 years or so in remission doing everything I basically wanted. Eating gluten, tons of sugar, alcohol basically everything I could not even have a little sip of when i was disabled. It was so weird. I also started lifting weights and working out and i physically looked good on the outside. Then I got hit with this. Could've been a long time coming, I dont know.

Right now, the hardest part is making it through every day. I can't sleep, i wake up unrested with my heart racing and feeling incredibly anxious, and then any movement or exertion floors me. Tired but unable to sleep, I swear it is hell. People also think you are crazy as they can not see or feel what you are feeling. I'm worried I won't be able to make it to my doctor's office tomorrow even though someone is driving me.

When neuro overload happened for you, what triggered it and how did you recover from it?

Thanks. So it is so bad, I cannot walk more than a few feet before symptoms start to kick in. I'm also extremely sensitive to anything. I thought i'd try a little crumb of a multi mineral tab that might help me to go to sleep... I woke up really groggy and in a fog and it's having some weird side effects. A neurological system that sensitive is such a hard situation to address, I literally cannot tolerate anything right now.

I along with many others share your pain. I have similar type issues and needed guidance from ME Specialists, GP and Internist to help with these symptoms. I also did a lot of reading online. I am no where near better mostly housebound.

Try to relax if possible regroup. Ask for help of you have family and friends around. And try to locate a Dr that is familiar with CFS in your area. I know its hard I have major breakdowns every couple days from the overload of symptoms its scary to be honest. But reacting to the fear and anxiety makes Neuro symtoms worse. Get to a Dr if you can.

It is advised to get testing done to rule out other illnesses as well.

Alexi

Toxicity is a big problem for me too.........I'm having regular acupuncture with a guy qualified in nutrition and other disciplines. I'm not cured, but I'm upright and beginning to function again !