• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prof Lipkin gets $1.9m philanthropic grant to study tick borne diseases

Bob

https://www.mailman.columbia.edu/pu...n-alexandra-cohen-foundation-study-tick-borne
The Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health announced today that it has received a $1.9 million grant from the Steven & Alexandra Cohen Foundation for tick-borne disease research. The grant will support research into the role in human disease of known and as-yet-to be-discovered tick-borne bacteria and viruses by determining the tick microbiome and testing for the presence of potential pathogens using molecular and serological methods.
“Our hypothesis is that some patients with ongoing symptoms who have not responded to antibiotics known to be effective against Borrelia may be infected with viruses or other antibiotic resistant bacteria,” said Ian Lipkin, MD, director of the Center for Infection and Immunity. “This generous award from the Steven & Alexandra Cohen Foundation will allow us to pursue discovery and surveillance efforts needed to rigorously test this hypothesis.”

duncan

Yeah, cool, but his premise is skewed and, accordingly, more likely flawed (he seems to be assuming that Bb persistence post-treatment is not the issue). At the same time, sure, anyone familiar with TBD's can attest that you get bit by a tick and it will deposit more than one pathogen. Is anyone surprised at this hypothesis?

Maybe there is more than this snippet; I will read the entire release.

ETA, nothing I could see that undid my first impression.

Last edited:

msf

Yeah, cool, but his premise is skewed and, accordingly, more likely flawed (he seems to be assuming that Bb persistence post-treatment is not the issue). At the same, time, sure, anyone familiar with TBD's can attest that you get bit by a tick and it will deposit more than one pathogen. Is anyone surprised at this hypothesis?

Yeah, you don´t have to be that well up on Lyme to be aware of Zhang´s persister studies. It´s good that money is finally going towards things like Chronic Lyme though.

Bob

@duncan, Lipkin's hypothesis is that multiple pathogens, other than Borrelia burgdorferi, might cause Lyme symptoms. So he thinks that Lyme patients whose treatment has been unsuccessful (i.e. they have unresolved symptoms) may have been hit with Borrelia burgdorferi, plus one or more other pathogens. (So they may have been hit with a pathogen other than Borrelia burgdorferi that didn't respond to antibiotics). And undiagnosed patients may have been hit with one or more unrecognised pathogens so they never got a diagnosis. Seems like a great approach to me. There might be other answers but he's doing it his way.

Last edited:

Antares in NYC

Prof Lipkin gets $1.9m philanthropic grant to study tick borne diseases

Yes, yes, yes!

Bravo! About time!

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Last edited:

Antares in NYC

Lipkin has said his team does it in a field with a net! I think he's said he's done it personally!

He's given presentations in the past about his tick disease research and he seems very enthusiastic about it.
I remember that someone posted in another thread a presentation by Dr. Lipkin on some of his preliminary studies on ticks, and he mentioned that in addition to borrelia and co-infections, he also found a number of viruses including a variation of rabies. Rabies!
Not sure I remember the type of tick that he studied, but it did caught my attention how many harmful pathogens he found. I'll see if I can find that video.

EDIT: they actually found a new rhabdovirus in that study: http://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-422X-11-26

And here's the thread I was referring to: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/ian-lipkin-on-lyme.33610/

Last edited:

roller

wiggle jiggle
Yeah, cool, but his premise is skewed and, accordingly, more likely flawed (he seems to be assuming that Bb persistence post-treatment is not the issue). At the same time, sure, anyone familiar with TBD's can attest that you get bit by a tick and it will deposit more than one pathogen. Is anyone surprised at this hypothesis?

the issue may be exactly NOT be the tick-transfered pathogens but 'independent' ones. new or dormant.

for example sheep treated for flukes fell afterwards pray to lice.
the previously changed immune system (by the flukes) and their rapid death may have paved ways for other parasites.
perhaps this doesnt happen with everyone.

the same may happen after human parasite treatment.
after a treatment, our immune system is still changed and again undergoing a rapid change.
formerly suppressed pathogens may find splendid breeding grounds all of a sudden or attract new pals.

duncan

@Bob, yes, I understand.

I am all for more research into what pathogens ticks may harbor that can be conveyed to humans.

My point is that the concept that ticks transmit other pathogens that can mimic some Lyme symptoms is not new. Two such diseases that come to mind are bartonella and babesia.

Still, the more the merrier I suppose, so Lipkin's expertise and contributions can only benefit us all.

@roller, I agree that immune system changes and emerging pathogens and parasites all play a role.

@msf - I would wager he does not know about the three persister studies. If he does, well, he seems to be ignoring them. :)

Last edited:

duncan

I wonder if Lipkin will be coordinating this effort with Columbia University's Lyme And Tick-Borne Disease Research Center....