• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A new case definition of Neuro-Inflammatory and Oxidative Fatigue (NIOF), a neuroprogressive...

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/26454487

So...researchers are just making up their own diagnostic criteria and names now?

Seems to be just an abstract at the moment:

A new case definition of Neuro-Inflammatory and Oxidative Fatigue (NIOF), a neuroprogressive disorder, formerly known as chronic fatigue syndrome or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: results of multivariate pattern recognition methods and external validation by neuro-immune biomarkers.

Maes M
IMPACT Strategic Research Center, Barwon Health, Deakin University, Geelong, Vic, Australia.

Neuro Endocrinology Letters [2015, 36(4):320-329]

BACKGROUND: Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) is characterized by neuro-psychiatric (e.g. depression, irritability, sleep disorders, autonomic symptoms and neurocognitive defects) and physio-somatic (fatigue, a flu-like malaise, hyperalgesia, irritable bowel, muscle pain and tension) symptoms. New ME/CFS case definitions based on consensus criteria among experts are largely inadequate, e.g. those of the US Institute of Medicine .

OBJECTIVES: The aim of the present study was to delineate a new case definition of ME/CFS based on pattern recognition methods and using neuro-immune, inflammatory, oxidative and nitrosative stress (neuro-IO&NS) biomarkers as external validating criteria.

METHODS: We measured the 12-item Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Rating (FF) Scale in 196 subjects with CFS (CDC criteria) and 83 with chronic fatigue. The "Neuro-IO&NS" biomarkers were: IgM / IgA responses against LPS of gut commensal bacteria (leaky gut), IgM responses to O&NS modified neoepitopes, autoimmunity to serotonin, plasma interleukin-1 (IL-1) and serum neopterin.

RESULTS: Cluster analysis showed the presence of two well-separated clusters with highly significant differences in symptoms and biomarkers. The cluster with higher scores on all FF items was externally validated against all IO&NS biomarkers and therefore this diagnostic group was labeled "Neuro-IO&NS Fatigue" or "Neuro-Inflammatory and Oxidative Fatigue" (NIOF). An algorithm was constructed which defined NIOF as chronic fatigue and 4 or more of the following 6 symptoms: muscle tension, memory disturbances, sleep disorders, irritable bowel, headache or a flu-like malaise. There was a significant overlap between NIOF and CFS although NIOF criteria were much more restrictive. Factor analysis showed two factors, the first a fatigue-hyperalgesia (fibromyalgic complaints) and the second a fatigue-depression factor.

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
What a terrible name haha.. Why not call it "intolerant and fatigued" (IAF)...

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
"New ME/CFS case definitions based on consensus criteria among experts are largely inadequate, e.g. those of the US Institute of Medicine ."

Wow, what an arrogant statement.

Had me scratching my head as well..

A.B.

standards.png

msf

I doubt it, Prof. Edwards, seeing as Fluge and Mella seem to be reading his papers. I think a potential advantage that this criteria has over others is that it uses biomarkers to define it. You can argue about the biomarkers, but that seems to me to be a step forward - I´m sure people would be praising Lipkin et al if they used the cytokine studies to come up with their own criteria. Also, pointing out that the existing criteria are problematic is hardly controversial - a lot of threads on new studies ends up with a debate about critera. Finally, it may be a stupid name, but is it stupider than SEID?

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
I doubt it, Prof. Edwards, seeing as Fluge and Mella seem to be reading his papers. I think a potential advantage that this criteria has over others is that it uses biomarkers to define it. You can argue about the biomarkers, but that seems to me to be a step forward ?

Tail wagging the dog. These proposed biomarkers aren't exactly, well,,,, reasonable or valid at this point in time.

msf

They aren´t reasonable or valid to you, but they are to Maes, and possibly KDM too.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
They aren´t reasonable or valid to you, but they are to Maes, and possibly KDM too.

That I think about sums it up.

What if these criteria were accepted and you (one of the people in the study with CFS who did not overlap with NIOF) go to a GP and she says 'ah but your anti-oxidised IgM thingy is normal so you don't have Inflammo-oxidative-fatiguy-thingy-flapdoodly-disease so you can go back to work and shut up' just as GPs have for decades been telling people with rheumatoid arthritis that because their rheumatoid factor is negative they have nothing wrong with them? People on PR tell me they have a serious illness. How does it stop being a serious illness because some lone Dutchman says they have to have antibodies that nobody else has ever measured?

msf

And I believe Maes and KDM know vastly more about ME than anyone on this forum.

msf

Oh, and where does he say it stops being a serious illness?

And Maes is Belgian.