• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DHEA

digital dog

I have low testosterone (I am under the range for women). I have hashimotos too.
I am very sensitive to hormones (oestrogen especially) and so tried of getting worse but I really need some sort of boost and there is only DHEA or testosterone to try.

Any women tried DHEA? I would start at maybe 1mg.

Thank you

DD

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I take 5 mgs dhea but I don't notice anything.

I've posted this before. It explains how hormones interact. Simplified from a smart person here.

Think of hormones as a stream, at the top is cholesterol and pregnenolone which flows down to dhea and progesterone . Progesterone flows on to cortisol. Dhea flows onto testosterone and estrogen . It seems more common in women for dhea to convert to testosterone and men estrogen.

Hypothalmus makes the signals to produce hormones but in many of us it isn't happening so we add the hormones that the hypothalmus isnt stimulating

But all these hormones have their own effects. Dhea helps balance out the negative effects of cortisol .

Its all a balance. Hormones and neurotransmitters control bp, blood sugar , sleep alot of functions that are normally controlled automatically by hypothalmus .
its the control panel

Cfsme is a neuroimmune disease , hpa axis is the neuro part

Last edited:

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I did get a boost from DHEA but I won't take it now because:
1) I have huge fibroids and DHEA should not be taken when fibroids are present
2) DHEA will eventually suppress cortisol

1mg of DHEA is a very low dose so it's hard to know if that will have any effect on your cortisol levels.

http://www.ralphgolanmd.com/adrenal_exhaustion.htm

In addition to its own functions, DHEA can be converted in the body to estrogen. Too high a DHEA dose in women causes breast tenderness or spotting between periods. DHEA can also be converted into testosterone{the male hormone} and, in women, too much DHEA can trigger acne and male pattern hair growth. A woman's appropriate dose is one that brings the desired results without any of the adverse side effects. Too much DHEA can suppress cortisol production to abnormally low levels. Monitoring these hormone levels with periodic follow-up testing is essential to assure adequate levels and to safeguard against overdosing.

Ema

I did get a boost from DHEA but I won't take it now because:
1) I have huge fibroids and DHEA should not be taken when fibroids are present
2) DHEA will eventually suppress cortisol

1mg of DHEA is a very low dose so it's hard to know if that will have any effect on your cortisol levels.

http://www.ralphgolanmd.com/adrenal_exhaustion.htm
I take DHEA in a transdermal cream, 25 mg, once or twice a day.

It has been proven to increase sense of well being in those with adrenal insufficiency in several studies. It also increases bone density and may be protective against breast cancer.

Fibroids are too heterogenous of a condition to make blanket statements about whether or not DHEA or estrogen treatment is appropriate for any individual. Some fibroids will worsen with estrogen, some with progesterone and in some cases there will be no effect. It's a decision to be made with an experienced practitioner.

It's easier to say that no one with fibroids or breast cancer should ever take HRT but the truth is much more nuanced and individualized.

I've never seen a scientific study that has found DHEA to lower or suppress cortisol once it is already low. If it did that, it's unlikely that it would be helpful for those with adrenal insufficiency.

If you want to try DHEA, just be mindful of side effects and watch your labs to keep it in a healthy youthful range. I aim for 300-400 ug/dl.