• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High heart rate during night and in morning

sillysocks84

My high heart rate when I woke up surprised me. My heart rate is high during the day too but not like it was last night or this morning. I slept good I thought and took my pulse because I thought maybe it'd be normal for once. It was so high I couldn't really keep up. I am on my period this week. Tmi, sorry.

Since starting on Monday and now Thursday, I have been weaker, dizzier, and my legs feel disconnected from my body when I walk. My chest pain is more frequent too, but not constant. I'm also more sensitive to foods, my throat reacts somewhat when I eat chocolate or onions or garlic. So that's been a newer development making me think histamine problem.

If anyone has experienced anything similar or has any ideas please let me know. So is this not pots since I was laying down? Is it another dysautonomia?

* About an hour later it was a lower rate. But still will probably fluctuate in the day as usual.

sillysocks84

If I lie in the wrong position (not on my left side) my oxygen saturation decreases and my heart rate increases. This can cause to me to be weak and dizzy with a nice headache for a while after I get up.
Interesting for me I'm not sure it's what side I'm on, though I will experiment more with that.

sillysocks84

BTW I've seen pulmonologists and cardiologists in the last year. Also went to a highly respected autoimmune doctor who couldn't find a title for my problems. My doctor wants to see me again next week before they refer me somewhere else. I'm tired of this game.

alkt

My high heart rate when I woke up surprised me. My heart rate is high during the day too but not like it was last night or this morning. I slept good I thought and took my pulse because I thought maybe it'd be normal for once. It was so high I couldn't really keep up. I am on my period this week. Tmi, sorry.

Since starting on Monday and now Thursday, I have been weaker, dizzier, and my legs feel disconnected from my body when I walk. My chest pain is more frequent too, but not constant. I'm also more sensitive to foods, my throat reacts somewhat when I eat chocolate or onions or garlic. So that's been a newer development making me think histamine problem.

If anyone has experienced anything similar or has any ideas please let me know. So is this not pots since I was laying down? Is it another dysautonomia?

* About an hour later it was a lower rate. But still will probably fluctuate in the day as usual.
could it be caused by a drop in your iron lowering blood volume so heart beats faster to carry out its normal function .

sillysocks84

could it be caused by a drop in your iron lowering blood volume so heart beats faster to carry out its normal function .
Maybe. I've had iron checked in the past and was fine. Every time of the month I get worse than usual. But this month is the worst. I'm hoping my doctor can refer me to a dysautonomia or cfs/me dr.

Sounds like heart pulpitations. I get this in the morning if I have had a high GL meal the night before. It's quiet scary.

Have you had your thyroid tested (heart palpitations)? Sounds like a symptom of Hypothyroidism to me. I'm no expert but on reading about this kind of thing it seems to come back to the thyroid even though I'm not sure why (technically).
If you do get your thyroid tested don't go to a GP. Try a naturopath instead as GP's only test TSH when there's a range of other things that need to be checked. I'm just trying to help as I know how difficult it is to get help when you really need it.

The sensitivity to foods could well come back to digestive issues caused from a hypercortisole state ..or.. Thyroid issues. These are the areas I would be looking at but again, I'm guessing as like you, I'm trying to figure things out as well.

sillysocks84

Sounds like heart pulpitations. I get this in the morning if I have had a high GL meal the night before. It's quiet scary.

Have you had your thyroid tested (heart palpitations)? Sounds like a symptom of Hypothyroidism to me. I'm no expert but on reading about this kind of thing it seems to come back to the thyroid even though I'm not sure why (technically).
If you do get your thyroid tested don't go to a GP. Try a naturopath instead as GP's only test TSH when there's a range of other things that need to be checked. I'm just trying to help as I know how difficult it is to get help when you really need it.

The sensitivity to foods could well come back to digestive issues caused from a hypercortisole state ..or.. Thyroid issues. These are the areas I would be looking at but again, I'm guessing as like you, I'm trying to figure things out as well.
Thank you! I thought I tested thyroid because my gyno tested my hormones which included tsh. Well maybe I can be helped yet. Where are you from? I'm in the midwest and harder to find doctors who delve deeper.

Hi
I'm in Melbourne Australia. Just about to go to work actually.
When it comes to Thyroid the conventional and accepted way, by the medical community, is to test TSH but there's allot more to be tested. T3,T4, Reverse T3 and some others. I'm no expert.
There's allot of articles out there explaining why just testing TSH is flawed.

As for finding a good doctor or naturopath I'm not sure if your area of the world. There would have to be more than here though.

In Australia the actual thyroid hormones T3, and T4, are not tested or covered by the government when tested so it's something you will probably have to pay for yourself. If you just ask your doctor for all the Thyroid hormones to be tested (there are probably other tests as well) then I'm sure he/she will add them to your pathology referral. TSH testing is covered by the government in Australia so I have no doubt it's covered there as well.

If your current doctor won't write you such a referral then try another doctor and ask to have the Thyroid hormones added to your referral. It takes a few doctors to find one that will listen. It can be very frustrating so you have all my sympathy.

SOC

@sillysocks84.
Lots of good suggestions in this thread, so I thought I'd throw in another just to confuse the issue. ;)

If you have low blood volume, as many PWME do, it is easy to get very dehydrated overnight. Your brain could not be getting enough blood and asking your heart to pick up the pace to compensate. You can check your pulse pressure (systolic minus diastolic) to see if it's low (<30) when this is happening. If it is, that might explain the increase in HR.

Same problem..every time I wake up my heart is racing. I have palpiations during the whole day (feeling my heartbeat), but I can deal with it, except in the morning..
It began when I stopped taking the pill..

sillysocks84

Same problem..every time I wake up my heart is racing. I have palpiations during the whole day (feeling my heartbeat), but I can deal with it, except in the morning..
It began when I stopped taking the pill..
I have never been on the pill, so I'm not sure... how does the pill effect estrogen? That might be a clue.

I have the same, but it was triggered by high dose of B12. I'm ok during the day but usually get up at night because of heart racing and those palpitations. Cardiologist didn't find anything, but told to look at K/Mg/Na ratio in the blood.
It's clear for me that I need K and I get better on it, but this could be not your case, since you weren't playing with methylation.
Hypothyroid is another hypothesis. Visited endo yesterday and my thyroid is fine acc to the ultrasound. Hormones will arrive later, but the doc thinks my symptoms are not thyroid-related, though tachycardia and heart palpitations can point to thyroid disorders.
My next step will be to check ferritin levels and visit neurologist. If nothing improves my state I will just leave it as is and maybe it will all gradually subside by itself.

Maria1

Silence speaks volumes
Don't know if this helps but...

I had high heart rate for the first 2 years following ME/CFS diagnosis, and for a year preceding. It would wake me at night and it really wasn't pleasant. I was referred to cardiology and the doctor there told me that high heart rate and palpitations can be a symptom of CFS, though it isn't known why.

I was at some point prescribed propanalol which worked to slow my heart rate.

A different GP later picked up that I was hypothyroid, but only just out of range. I tested positive for antibodies which meant a diagnosis of auto-immune thyroiditis and a referral to an endocrinologist. The endocrinologist found my ferritin and vitamin d to be too low. Now my ferritin level is over 50, and my vit d level in normal range.

I no longer have the high heart rate but couldn't tell you what caused the change. I think it was the thyroid problem as I stopped the propanalol before my vitamin levels came up significantly.

I hope you find an answer.

Mary

Moderator Resource
It's clear for me that I need K and I get better on it, but this could be not your case, since you weren't playing with methylation.

@sillysocks84 - Actually low potassium can be an issue without doing the methylation protocol. Starting methylfolate (I'd already been on methylB12 for years prior to then) did trigger low potassium for me, with accompanying severe fatigue. However, it was a very familiar fatigue and I learned for the first time that I'd issues with low potassium for years before starting the folate. My K numbers had always been in the low-normal range.

People with CFS/ME do tend to have problems with utilizing potassium. I've read about it but cannot give you the particulars.

Do you take your blood pressure? I'm wondering if it is high along with your heart rate.

An easy to way to get more potassium is low-sodium V8 - it has 900 mg. of potassium in 8 oz. and few calories. You might see if this helps.

And of course your issues may have nothing to do with potassium, but they might. So it's definitely worth checking out.

I have never been on the pill, so I'm not sure... how does the pill effect estrogen? That might be a clue.
What I know..The body stops the estrogen production with taking the pill. The estrogen you get then, came from the pill.
I notice again and again, if I take it, my palpitations are going better (but unfortunately no longer disappear). and if I stop taking the pill they are going to be so strong, that I can´t even sleep.