• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: Hammering CFS: A Vistide Success

Hi HVS

This is truly wonderful. With a young child to care for and many years work ahead of you I understand your willingness to take the risk of potentially harmful treatment. Thankfully you have an amazing medic in Dr. Peterson. My sincerest hope is that you continue in good health, and never see a return of the illness. Maybe when you get the time (not much of that with a young family) you will spread the word about your experience, let the world (or at least your corner of it) know how you were made whole again by drug treatment, excellent diagnostics and care.All the bestAdam

Congrats on returning to normal life, that's outstanding I wonder if someone with long term CFS would recover with the help of Dr Peterson? You were treated quite fast after illness came in. All that must have been quite expensive, lots of tests and treatments. I can only dream this was available in Canada and that insurance would pay for it!

Congrats on returning to normal life, that's outstanding I wonder if someone with long term CFS would recover with the help of Dr Peterson? You were treated quite fast after illness came in. All that must have been quite expensive, lots of tests and treatments. I can only dream this was available in Canada and that insurance would pay for it!

I think it's safe to say that it's much more of an uphill climb. See the visitde thread for Ross's story, though; he saw significant, though, not total improvement. He had been very ill for a long time.

I just heard from Corinne (See her Dr. Peterson); She said her impression was that Vistide was working quite well for several patients. She'll report more when she gets back.

R
Thanks so much for sharing, HVS! Your story is such an inspiration!

I was under the impression that Dr. Peterson accepts Medicare. That would shoulder some of the cost burden for patients. Is this true or is he a cash-only doctor like Klimas?

Could you pose that question to Ross, Robin? He's informed on the medicare issue.

Thanks so much for sharing, HVS! Your story is such an inspiration!

I was under the impression that Dr. Peterson accepts Medicare. That would shoulder some of the cost burden for patients. Is this true or is he a cash-only doctor like Klimas?

This is not the final answer!

My impression is that Dr. Peterson and Dr. Klimas know what tests can and cannot be covered by Medicare and will do all they can to get as many tests covered as possible. Their office visits would not be covered. At least this is how it is with my doctor.

Some of the tests and prescriptions my doctor orders are covered by my Medicare and Mecicaid, but office visits are not. Neither are alternative treatments. There used to be good CFS doctors that took Medicare, but those doctors no longer do. In the past I was able to find three doctors who would take Medicare, but they have since opted out of that system. They are all now very expensive.

As I said, this is not the final answer.

Cort, do you know if the woman concerned has maintained the level she achieved in February / March after she discontinued treatment? I ask as I have heard from various doctors that gains are often lost once treatment is stopped. I'd be interested in the answer if you happened to find out.

Thanks so much!