• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Probiotic, soil based organisms and gut microbes...?

Bansaw

My doc is putting me on a protocol that will "reset" my small intestine , ie: get rid of the bad bacteria and then she wants me to take high-potency probiotics.
The protocol I will be on consists of:
ADP (emulsified oil of oregano)
With Sac B
With something else that disrupts the biofilm of bad bacteria (Bromelaine CLA)
Then, the probiotic assault.

I've been pondering pill probiotics and looking at high potency ones like Garden of Life. They do a 100 billion, 29 strand one that looks very potent. But looking at it, I think its just grown from Kefir!! Why not get a cup of live Kefir and get a Trillion cheaply rather than pay a load of money and get 100 Billion!
I have access to some raw milk and am making yogurt that has 750 Billion per cup serving. And these are alive and kicking bacteria.

Has anyone got a good recommendation of a probiotic they use thats potent?

Next I am pondering Soil Based Organisms. And reading that these don't actually populate the gut but simply do their job and pass through.
If you were repopulating the gut, how would you get the bacteria strands in there that would populate and do the best job possible?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I think people explained on your other thread why yogurt and kefir are not good because it only has one strain. If you're going to do this, why not do it with something that is really going to do the job?

It looks like it sounds financial, and I totally get that, but it may not pay off in the end trying to make your own to save money.

Bansaw

I think people explained on your other thread why yogurt and kefir are not good because it only has one strain. If you're going to do this, why not do it with something that is really going to do the job?

It looks like it sounds financial, and I totally get that, but it may not pay off in the end trying to make your own to save money.
Yogurt and Kefir have only one strain ??! Kefir has about 30 different strains. Yogurt (from raw milk as I'm making it) might have about 8.
I am just wondering if anyone has has success with Soil Organisms and having them populate rather than just pass straight through; and am wondering if there are any comments on my SIBO protocol.

Last edited:

helen1

To clarify, yogurt only contains strains of lactobacillus. So there is more than one strain but they're all from the same family, which all tend to have similar effects in the gut. You could do both: yogurt for your lactobacilli and then get a high bifido or soil based organisms or other types to get a balance.

I'd like to hear any answers as to which strains will colonize the gut though and not just pass through. I've wondered about that.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
To clarify, yogurt only contains strains of lactobacillus. So there is more than one strain but they're all from the same family, which all tend to have similar effects in the gut. .

That's what I meant and what was said in your other thread.