• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

help w amino acids - arginine , etc.

ebethc

sorry - please disregard... I don't know how to delete this post.

Last edited:

whodathunkit

Should be a little link next to the "Edit" link at the very bottom of the post that says "Delete".

whodathunkit

Huh. Well, dang. Sorry about that. I have a delete button. Maybe it relates to how long you've been a member or something. Might ask one of the mods in the moderation forum.

Hutan

but actually @ebethc, I thought you had asked a good question. I take lysine to help stop recurrent cold sores. But i have seen somewhere that arginine is good for people with ME - and also that lysine counteracts arginine. So, what to do?

ebethc

but actually @ebethc, I thought you had asked a good question. I take lysine to help stop recurrent cold sores. But i have seen somewhere that arginine is good for people with ME - and also that lysine counteracts arginine. So, what to do?

yes, exactly @Hutan ... I went back and read some previous posts (by me, no less :)) requesting help on this topic and read responses... I'm still not clear on knowing 1) if lysine cancels out arginine, or 2) what the correct ratio of lysine:arginine should be....

from my own experience w arginine, I learned that I should not take it alone, and I've learned from all the posts + what I've read, that nitric oxide plays a curious role in M.E. - both positive and negative. The "net" answer is that nobody knows for sure. I took some arginine & lysine last night and my sinuses opened right up! I think nitric oxide is affected at high altitudes, but I don't know how... I feel great at high altitudes, so I wish I understood the chem better.... I have an appt w dr kaufman next month (which hopefully I will be able to keep, due to finances) so I can ask him then...

I wanted to delete this post because I felt like the community had answered this request for help as best they could, so it's too soon to ask again.