• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acetyl L- Glutathione, ATP, Baking Soda, Sam-e & Catalase = No PEM after exercise

drob31

drob31

drob31

pemone

I also took 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.

Anyone think it would be wise to add SOD as well?

How about; s-acetyle glutathione, SOD, and catalase together? A super anti PEM stack?

NEVER take Gliadin-based SOD supplementation. Studies show that this will lower your endogenous SOD levels such that your total SOD with supplementation is LOWER than it was before supplementation:
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jhs/53/5/53_5_608/_pdf

I'm skeptical of supplemental catalase because most of it is destroyed in digestion. I have been looking for a liposomal catalase and so far I have not found one.

Why do you feel the need to do such complex experiments? You have too many variables. How about taking baking soda BY ITSELF after exertion, NO OTHER SUPPLEMENTS, and see what is the result. That's a test.

For myself, baking soda is a miracle, if taken during periods when you have strong acidosis symptoms.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Why do you feel the need to do such complex experiments? You have too many variables. How about taking baking soda BY ITSELF after exertion, NO OTHER SUPPLEMENTS, and see what is the result. That's a test.

For myself, baking soda is a miracle, if taken during periods when you have strong acidosis symptoms.

I too was thinking that sodium bicarbonate might be the best place to start. It is very cheap! I have been taking it for nearly 3 years, and always get worse if I try stopping.

Recently I have started to notice a lift in strength and energy about 15 minutes after taking it. Sadly it doesn't last long, but it's useful if I have to do anything tiring like walking up a hill or some gardening.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Recently I have started to notice a lift in strength and energy about 15 minutes after taking it. Sadly it doesn't last long, but it's useful if I have to do anything tiring like walking up a hill or some gardening.
Have you tried taking repeat doses up to bowel tolerance?

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Could you take too much and slam into alkalosis?
That might be a caution for some, I don't know.

But I would think that the very. very strong laxative effect of too much bicarb is the way that the body protects itself - unless there is something about CFS/ME which makes things different.

MeSci

Could you take too much and slam into alkalosis?

Yes, I think so. I already take 8-10g a day divided into 4 doses. A major reason for my supplements is to combat bowel looseness, so I don't want to risk going into imbalance again. Once I get loose again, everything else gets messed up too, supporting my theory that, for me at least, leaky gut is a major component of the aetiology of my ME. I've inadvertently mistreated my gut for decades, and it's time to be nice to it - then it's nice to me!

Sidereal

Yes, I think so. I already take 8-10g a day divided into 4 doses. A major reason for my supplements is to combat bowel looseness, so I don't want to risk going into imbalance again. Once I get loose again, everything else gets messed up too, supporting my theory that, for me at least, leaky gut is a major component of the aetiology of my ME. I've inadvertently mistreated my gut for decades, and it's time to be nice to it - then it's nice to me!

Yes, same here, anything that messes up with my gut sends me into a tailspin again.

pemone

If you have an inflammatory bowel disease, I can put in a good word for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), which I implement strictly. I get all of my sugars in the form of monosaccharides from berries, three cups a day. I avoid ALL starches (e.g., wheat, potato, corn, rice), and I even avoid any processed food or fruit that contains much disaccharides. The miracle of this diet is the insight that many people cannot digest disaccharides like sucrose because they either lack the sucrase enzyme in sufficient quantity, or possibly because the enzyme is there but the gut isn't allowing it to work efficiently.

The idea of this diet is to let your body take up moderate sugar rapidly in the small intestine and to leave very little for pathogens.

MeSci

If you have an inflammatory bowel disease, I can put in a good word for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), which I implement strictly. I get all of my sugars in the form of monosaccharides from berries, three cups a day. I avoid ALL starches (e.g., wheat, potato, corn, rice), and I even avoid any processed food or fruit that contains much disaccharides. The miracle of this diet is the insight that many people cannot digest disaccharides like sucrose because they either lack the sucrase enzyme in sufficient quantity, or possibly because the enzyme is there but the gut isn't allowing it to work efficiently.

The idea of this diet is to let your body take up moderate sugar rapidly in the small intestine and to leave very little for pathogens.

Interesting. I seem to be doing quite well on my current diet and supplements (summarised in my profile), which took some time to perfect, so I think I'll stick with it for now.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
UPDATE - I am going to stop the gym trips for awhile. I started having extreme nerve pain in my feet and more memory loss than usual. The one big thing I am doing different is going to the gym 3 times a week. The only way I will be able to tell if its the problem is stop going for awhile and see if I improve.

This is why I try not to get my hopes up. It is so disappointing when something works for awhile and then doesn't. Sorry for being pessimistic. I'm in that mood right now:(

drob31

UPDATE - I am going to stop the gym trips for awhile. I started having extreme nerve pain in my feet and more memory loss than usual. The one big thing I am doing different is going to the gym 3 times a week. The only way I will be able to tell if its the problem is stop going for awhile and see if I improve.

This is why I try not to get my hopes up. It is so disappointing when something works for awhile and then doesn't. Sorry for being pessimistic. I'm in that mood right now:(

Maybe you're not taking enough catalase? Maybe try doing 1-2 gym trips and increasing something in the cocktail... more catalase? Maybe try doing weights and not cardio? Maybe try adding in creatine... etc, etc.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Maybe you're not taking enough catalase? Maybe try doing 1-2 gym trips and increasing something in the cocktail... more catalase? Maybe try doing weights and not cardio? Maybe try adding in creatine... etc, etc.

I am going to keep off my feet for awhile and see if that helps with the burning. I have lots of people in my family with diabetes and just went and gave blood for a diabetes test. I'm waiting for the results. Meanwhile, I am going to stay off my feet temporarily. If the nerve pain goes away, I figure I will switch things up, start all over again and see what happens.

drob31

I am going to keep off my feet for awhile and see if that helps with the burning. I have lots of people in my family with diabetes and just went and gave blood for a diabetes test. I'm waiting for the results. Meanwhile, I am going to stay off my feet temporarily. If the nerve pain goes away, I figure I will switch things up, start all over again and see what happens.

Was your test for fasting blood sugar?

You could also buy a blood sugar monitor for like 8 bucks if you have a walgreens to do more testing.

Type 2 diabetes can be reversed with diet. I would suggest looking into the paleo diet if possible.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Was your test for fasting blood sugar?

You could also buy a blood sugar monitor for like 8 bucks if you have a walgreens to do more testing.

Type 2 diabetes can be reversed with diet. I would suggest looking into the paleo diet if possible.

I think it was the fasting sugar test. I should know the results by Tuesday hopefully.