• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does this sound like a viral infection?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I have been self-treating what I thought were just severe adrenal and methylation problems. I have recovered to a point of being able to work full time, almost. I don't have pain, sleep, or brain fog issues symptoms most of the time, anymore. I have more "good days" than bad ones. :)

I do all my laundry, cooking, shopping & housework on Sunday. Then I work M - F at an office job that can be quite stressful. By Thursday night I start to feel worn down. Then on most Fridays, usually in the afternoon - I "come down" with the following symptoms and I barely can make it through the rest of the day:
  • Brain fog - cannot read, watch TV or do anything productive - other than lie on the couch and look out the window
  • Depression - my life seems pitiful, tragic, hopeless
  • Inflammation - generalized inflammation but not pain or fibro
I spend most Friday nights and Saturdays sick. I lie on the couch and stare out the window all day. If I do extremely little on Saturday, I will usually wake up feeling better on Sunday and can start the whole shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry and work cycle for another week. The chance of a flare-up is aggravated by stress, especially emotional abuse or family dysfunction. But even when the emotional upset is let go or forgotten, the brain fog episode continues.

I used to think this re-occuring "Friday flu" was caused by me running out of energy / ATP and then crashing. But since adding high dose B12 and L-Carnitine, I feel much more energized and shouldn't be having these issues if were only mitochondria / energy production related.

I am wondering if this is a hidden viral infection that flares up each week at the point where I've had too much stess? Does this sound anything like HHV-6,EBV, CMV? (or the other infections that are treated with Equillibrant / isonine / Valcyte?)

Last edited:
@Sherpa - It just sounds like a crash following several days of perhaps mildly exceeding your ME/SEID limitations. "Feeling" energized often isn't reflective of having actual capability to be more active. In fact, it's usually the time we have to be most careful, because we suddenly feel like we can do more than we can.

Are you been checking your heart rate regularly? It might disagree with your perceptions of having a higher tolerance for activity now.

@Valentijn never checked my heart rate. Where can I learn about this?
It's a technique to help with pacing. Basically if we're crashy or over-exerting, it has a tendency to get too high and/or stay high too long.

Something like a pulse oximeter can be used to sample your heart rate at various times, especially when you might be over-exerting. Chest or wrist heart rate monitors can be worn for continuous monitoring throughout the day or during specific activities to see what is causing problems.

If using it for pacing, the general idea is to keep heart rate under approximately 110.

Butydoc

I have been self-treating what I thought were just severe adrenal and methylation problems. I have recovered to a point of being able to work full time, almost. I don't have pain, sleep, or brain fog issues symptoms most of the time, anymore. I have more "good days" than bad ones. :)

I do all my laundry, cooking, shopping & housework on Sunday. Then I work M - F at an office job that can be quite stressful. By Thursday night I start to feel worn down. Then on most Fridays, usually in the afternoon - I "come down" with the following symptoms and I barely can make it through the rest of the day:
  • Brain fog - cannot read, watch TV or do anything productive - other than lie on the couch and look out the window
  • Depression - my life seems pitiful, tragic, hopeless
  • Inflammation - generalized inflammation but not pain or fibro
I spend most Friday nights and Saturdays sick. I lie on the couch and stare out the window all day. If I do extremely little on Saturday, I will usually wake up feeling better on Sunday and can start the whole shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry and work cycle for another week. The chance of a flare-up is aggravated by stress, especially emotional abuse or family dysfunction. But even when the emotional upset is let go or forgotten, the brain fog episode continues.

I used to think this re-occuring "Friday flu" was caused by me running out of energy / ATP and then crashing. But since adding high dose B12 and L-Carnitine, I feel much more energized and shouldn't be having these issues if were only mitochondria / energy production related.

I am wondering if this is a hidden viral infection that flares up each week at the point where I've had too much stess? Does this sound anything like HHV-6,EBV, CMV? (or the other infections that are treated with Equillibrant / isonine / Valcyte?)
Hi Sherpa,

This sounds like a typical push/crash cycle. After the first time I treated my CFS/ME/SEID, I impoved and returned to work and mirrored your work/crash cycle. I did this for years until my health deteriorated to the extent that I had to retire. Since that time, my health, including my mental health has improved dramatically. I don't know if this delayed reaction to work over five days then crash is actually PEM or not. What I can say is that I believe it is very destructive to ones health and wish I would have retired much sooner. I don't know what your financial situation is like, but stopping your work or reducing your load would be important component to improved health.

Best,
Gary

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I work to survive. I'm 38 and have no savings, assets, disability insurance or official medical history / diagnosis of SEID. If I tried to get disability, they would ask me why I filed tax returns the past 2 years and they'd want medical proof. Not working is not an option. Getting on disability or working a less stressful type of job would pay far less and create others kinds of stress (struggling to afford supplements, dental care, transportation or healthy food).

I am going to see if I can negotiate 4 days a week at my company.

Last edited:

Hi Sherpa,

This sounds like a typical push/crash cycle. After the first time I treated my CFS/ME/SEID, I impoved and returned to work and mirrored your work/crash cycle. I did this for years until my health deteriorated to the extent that I had to retire. Since that time, my health, including my mental health has improved dramatically. I don't know if this delayed reaction to work over five days then crash is actually PEM or not. What I can say is that I believe it is very destructive to ones health and wish I would have retired much sooner. I don't know what your financial situation is like, but stopping your work or reducing your load would be important component to improved health.

Best,
Gary

I don't believe totally stopping your work is all ok. IF one is able, we have to keep moving as much as possible. And I know that can't always be the case, but as long as possible do some light movement, at least.