• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Very high levels of arsenic" in top-selling wines

Ecoclimber

Following recent warnings about the amount of arsenic in apple juice and rice, a proposed class action lawsuit is being filed Thursday in California that claims some of the country's top selling wines have high levels of the element: up to four and five times the maximum amount the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) allows for drinking water, reports CBS News correspondent Carter Evans.

There are almost no federal labeling requirements to tell you what's really in wine, that's why a Denver laboratory started running tests to find out.

After 15 years working in the wine distribution business, Kevin Hicks started BeverageGrades, a laboratory that analyzes wine. What he discovered shocked him.

"Some very, very high levels of arsenic," Hicks said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lawsuit-claims-high-levels-arsenic-found-some-california-made-wines/

http://www.businessinsider.com/california-only-has-about-year-of-water-left-2015-3

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/Waste-Water-from-Oil-Fracking-Injected-into-Clean-Aquifers-282733051.html

Last edited:

Ecoclimber

Then I guess I'm lucky, since I'm too sick to drink wine.
Things are looking up! One thing to remove from your check list! Just remember that CA is in an extreme drought condition and drinking water will run out within one year. Fracking is getting into some of the aquafiers that farmers use to water their crops. So check any food products coming from CA. as well

Last edited:

alex3619

Arsenic is often in food from two different sources. The first is its use in farming practices for several reasons. However the second is it can contaminate water, particularly underground water. So any bore or well might pump arsenic. Water intensive crops are therefore at high risk, as are crops in arid areas where groundwater is used to supplement rainfall.

Iquitos

When I read the original story on this some of the commenters pointed out that you would have to drink 1.5 bottles of wine per day to imbibe the amount of arsenic that is permitted in 2 liters of drinking water.

I think it's much ado about nothing. Unless you're drinking 1.5 bottles of wine per day. And it was only white wines that were mentioned as having been tested in the article.

Tammy

Things are looking up! One thing to remove from your check list! Just remember that CA is in an extreme drought condition and drinking water will run out within one year. Fracking is getting into some of the aquafiers that farmers use to water their crops. So check any food products coming from CA. as well
Fracking has been an issue for awhile now. Thanks to Dick Cheney..........fracking companies were excluded from having to adhere to the clean water act and other EPA regulations.:mad:

Last edited: