• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Artichoke Extract for Mast Cell Issues?

Has anyone had good results with Artichoke for Mast Cell issues?

I ask b.c. I'm having significant results with Quercetin and avoiding triggers, but it's not enough, and I can't take Neuroprotek because of the Chamomile (I have significant ragweed allergies.) I've read that Artichoke contains luteloin, which can be helpful. I also can't take Zantac or any of of the other H2 blockers because I already have low stomach acid and sometimes need to take HCL.

Thanks!

South

Just wondered if you read something about luteolin doing something more than quercetin does? I've read that luteolin and quercetin both somehow lower allergic reactions, but didn't find anything (yet) that one does this better than the other does.

As an aside, they both raise nitric oxide. Which could be useful for some people, but I can't take too many nitric oxide boosters or I get a migraine. Anyway, this too makes me think they both work by the same mechanism, and are interchangeable with each other...but that's just a guess.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Welcome to the club that nobody wants to be a member of! :)

Tart cherry contains flavonoids (as are quercetin and luteolin). I've been thinking that different flavonoids might have slightly different effects - so maybe there can be additive effects.

There is data that too much quercetin can result in liver toxicity. I believe I've also seen somewhere that such a claim isn't true after all.

Benadryl/diphenhydramine probably shouldn't reduce stomach acid, being mainly an H1 blocker.

Way down the page he seems to be saying they have a different mechanism of action:
http://www.mastcellmaster.com/research.php (The studies indicate different mechanisms, from what I can make sense of? Brain fog right now.)

At least enough so that he includes both in his mast cell supplement.

Like Sherlock says, different flavonoids, different effects. Also, Quercetin isn't easily absorbed. Anyways, these are just my best inferences. I'm interested in finding something with Luteloin b.c. I know one of the few that's actually been studied in relation to mast cell disorders.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I'm interested in finding something with Luteloin b.c. I know one of the few that's actually been studied in relation to mast cell disorders.
I kinda get the feeling that Theo did a lot of work in luteolin because he originally got it extracted from olive pits... and he's Greek :)

Just a note to say I am aborting the "artichoke experiment" because it's in the ragweed family. I actually took a dose before reading Gondwanaland's post and didn't feel noticeably worse, but things are just too hairy now to take the risk.

Sherlock, now that you mention it, I have had positive results with Olive Leaf in the past! I had no idea it contains luteolin. Eventually the improvements disappeared/were no longer noticeable, but I was having so many shitty symptoms at the time that it may be worth revisiting, when things are more under control.

Definitely. It may be a good option because of my frequent sinus infections, frequent bladder infections, frequent yeast infections, the luteolin content, my GI issues, and probable mast cell issues. God what a depressing sentence, ha.