• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Joseph Cohen - Self hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anybody heard or dealt with Joseph Cohen?

His website http://selfhacked.com/ has a lot of insight into many CFS and ME symptoms.

I was drawn to him because of my severe brain fog, which he cured himself of, and he seems very intelligent and well read....too much so in many ways as I find a lot of it overwhelming and somewhat inaccessible for myself.

Nonetheless, I'm sure some of you may find him interesting and get something from it. He continues to write posts and is currently working on a CFS post discussing his theories. Work in progress as I understand it but thought I'd bring it to your attention.

http://selfhacked.com/2014/11/19/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-real-heres-test/

I am considering having a Skype consultation with him which he charge at $90 for 60minutes...

Seem worth it anyone? maybe someone with a bit more knowledge on the science behind it all could have a look and leave some thoughts?

drob31

I've been in contact with him for a while. I talk with him through email and over the phone.

It really depends what you are looking for. He's not in it "for the money," at least yet. He will help you with your supplementation or genetics. His specialty is reviewing a large amount of information and being able to parse it and glean useful data from it. He tries to base everything on peer reviewed articles, so he is grounded in science.

drob31

His website http://selfhacked.com/ has a lot of insight into many CFS and ME symptoms.

I was drawn to him because of my severe brain fog, which he cured himself of, and he seems very intelligent and well read....too much so in many ways as I find a lot of it overwhelming and somewhat inaccessible for myself.

Nonetheless, I'm sure some of you may find him interesting and get something from it. He continues to write posts and is currently working on a CFS post discussing his theories. Work in progress as I understand it but thought I'd bring it to your attention.

I am considering having a Skype consultation with him which he charge at $90 for 60minutes...

Seem worth it anyone? maybe someone with a bit more knowledge on the science behind it all could have a look and leave some thoughts?

If you can give him allot of information upfront (email before the Skype), but then focus on a very specific area, he may give you some useful information. Keep in mind, he is still learning, so he's not going to be KDM or anything.. But if you have some symptoms that you want to go after, that is probably his strength.

drob31

Then why is he charging $90 for a 60 minute Skype call.

I don't think anyone would do these sort of consults for free. He's not making a living off of it, but I'm pretty sure uses what he makes to support his selfhacking habbit. I'm not suggesting anyone do the consultation, but rather give you a better idea of what it's about. It's not going to find a cure for CFS or anything.

barbc56

One of the problems I see, is his recommendation of lithium orotate. Lithium dosage can be tricky, requires blood tests and has many side effects like weight gain, which need to be weighed with the benefirs.

My anecdotal experience with the prescription lithium was a nightmare. I was on a very small dosage and within two days had stroke like symptoms. I was told to stop taking the lithium and eat something salty which seemed to help a bit but it took several days being off the lithium before I felt better.

I am very sensitive to medicatione, yet on a very low dose, yet still had this reaction.

I have no idea about the validity of his other recommendations, but this caught my eye.

I wonder if he gets a kickback from selling the meds.? Some doctors do but tbh, I only did a short scan of the site, but I couldn't find any evidence of this. Does he recommend one brand over another as that can be a red flag.

Good luck.

Barb

IreneF

Because he "knows a lot of things" doesn't mean that the things he knows are correct. I'd be a lot more interested if he'd gone to medical school, at least. Does he provide any evidence to back up his theories? Has anyone with actual CFS or ME (not the tired people of the world, but the ones with PEM, brain fog, wacky BP, low NK function, etc.) been helped more than a little? Or for just a little while?

Many (most?) of us have been burned so we've gotten suspicious of people who crawl out of the woodwork with "the cure".

It also sounds like practicing medicine without a license.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
He considers himself a "self learner" and says he has 2 degrees, one in finance and the other in psychology. It sounds like a "business" combo to me.

Agreed.

The problem is that regardless of how much he has read, he is not a doctor nor a scientist and from reading his blog, doesn't appear to have any in-depth and unique insights either. Looking at that picture on his website, it looks something like theories from people such as Dr Bell. If you were interested in that particular hypothesis, you are probably better off buying Dr Bell's book: http://www.amazon.com/Cellular-Hypoxia-Neuro-Immune-Fatigue-David/dp/1595941797

What's wrong with SNPedia?
Summaries of research are not a good source. Especially public summaries, where anyone can put anything up, and it might or might not get reviewed by someone else.

It's about as useful as citing to Phoenix Rising posts as a source. It might be a good place to find directions to search, or links to the research, but it's just preliminary step in getting to the actual research.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
One of the problems I see, is his recommendation of lithium orotate. Lithium dosage can be tricky, requires blood tests and has many side effects like weight gain, which need to be weighed with the benefirs.

My anecdotal experience with the prescription lithium was a nightmare.
Prescription lithium is not oratate (I think it may be chloride). Orotate is not as dangerous as the prescription kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.