• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

COMT Val/met SNP - do tea catechins bother you??

BadBadBear

I stopped drinking coffee when I did the sulfur exclusion testing, and I stopped drinking tea for COMT. I can live w/o coffee because it irritated my gut, but I sure miss drinking black tea with a spot of milk.

If you have are COMT +- or ++, do you notice a difference in how you feel if you don't consume tea catechins?

I really want to fall of the wagon, so to speak. :) It seems like black tea should not really be THAT bad, esp. if it's decaf??

- Michelle

Critterina

@BadBadBear ,

I gave up tea because of the histamines, but it seems like one of those things that don't cause a major reaction for me.

What happens when YOU drink tea? It seems your body isn't saying "Thank you for getting rid of that nasty stuff; I'm so much better now." Sounds more like you want it.

So, funny thing, I've been fairly intolerant of caffeine in coffee most of my life. And I have the slow-metabolizer gene when it comes to caffeine. Since the supplements, incuding methylation supps, for about 1.5 years, I can tolerate about 4x as much coffee as before (which was only 1/2 cup).

I stopped drinking coffee when I did the sulfur exclusion testing, and I stopped drinking tea for COMT. I can live w/o coffee because it irritated my gut, but I sure miss drinking black tea with a spot of milk.

If you have are COMT +- or ++, do you notice a difference in how you feel if you don't consume tea catechins?

I really want to fall of the wagon, so to speak. :) It seems like black tea should not really be THAT bad, esp. if it's decaf??

- Michelle

Yes, I certainly do. I am COMT ++

I git the shakes and palpitations pretty bad, and I have to pee like 40 times a day and it is difficult to start as well.

For the longest time I thought I was being "healthy" drinking green tea. It was not until I got my genetic profile that I figured out how much it was messing me up. I no longer drink tea and coffee, 30 days sober. ;)

I rely on Rosemary Tea, Parsley Tea, and Milk Thistle Tea to scratch that "I nee something warm" itch.

I noticed large improvement after getting through the withdrawal symptoms.