• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vital basic supplements an ME patient should be on?

Basically wondered what vital basic supplements someone with ME should be on, and at what doses. I have been on may supplements in the past but as they weren't making a huge difference I sort of just stopped taking any. The only stuff I have now supplement wise is B12 monthly injections due to B12 deficiency, vit d3 (2000iu) due to insufficiency and calcium (1000mg split dose).

I also have osteoporosis due to my ME so will be adding in magnesium as well but still not entirely sure on doses (I have mag glycinate). Also will consider adding in k2 but don't know enough about it and the doses.

Thanks in advance :)

BadBadBear

If you are insufficient in D3, 2000 IU is not a very big dose. My D3 did not come up much until I spent half a year on 10k IU per day. I did also take K2 at the same time. I maintain my D3 on 5000 IU. I don't know what your D3 needs are, just saying that your dose still may be too low to build up.

I have tracked my food intake in Fitday for a few years, and can look at that to see what patent deficiencies I need to address. It will show the nutrition intake over a selected time interval. Maybe you could try a food logging program and get a clear view of what is missing from your particular diet?

Leopardtail

Basically wondered what vital basic supplements someone with ME should be on, and at what doses. I have been on may supplements in the past but as they weren't making a huge difference I sort of just stopped taking any. The only stuff I have now supplement wise is B12 monthly injections due to B12 deficiency, vit d3 (2000iu) due to insufficiency and calcium (1000mg split dose).

I also have osteoporosis due to my ME so will be adding in magnesium as well but still not entirely sure on doses (I have mag glycinate). Also will consider adding in k2 but don't know enough about it and the doses.

Tainted,
as per @BadBadBear 's response, I would agree 2000IU is very little if you are highly deficient in D3. Which type of B12 are you injecting?
The easiest way to work out what you might be lacking is to keep track of what you crave food wise, the most relevant are the things you crave regularly, or crave even though you don't eat them.

Also how (un)able are you (working/able to go out/housebound/bedbound)?

xrunner

Hi @TaintedLuv
You may want to have a good look at the following simplified methylation protocol, it also explains why b12 by itself is not sufficient.
http://phoenixrising.me/treating-cf...gue-syndrome-cfs-by-rich-van-konynenburg-ph-d

http://phoenixrising.me/treating-cf...gue-syndrome-cfs-by-rich-van-konynenburg-ph-d

regarding K2 I'd review your assumptions as it can be most helpful. Best wishes.

Esther12

I don't think that there are any essential supplements to take just because you have ME.

I've known a few people who've ended up taking a range of supplements to help, only to then stop, and realise that going without made them no worse, and they saved the time and money put into them. Some people find some things that help, but I'd be cautious, and only use things that either seem to make you significantly better, or are recommended because of really reliable testing for some deficiency/problem.

You could use any money saved to donate to good quality research instead.