• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Intense post-exercise headaches

Hey,

anyone else get pounding headaches after intense exercise (soccer in my case)? Otherwise I hardly ever get headaches. I've always assumed it was one of my comorbids and/or meds. I don't think it's plain dehydration since no matter how much salt (via buffered salt tabs) & H2O I take on, the headache hits.

Cheers, Pete

Leopardtail

If you have ME/CFS you should be pacing and resting, not exercising. It will make the condition worse, as many have found to their cost, but too late.
me first thought match MeSci's that sounds like Post Exertional Malaise.

However much Soccer is creating the symptoms, you either need to stop doing it, or cut back to less than 75% of the amount that causes the symptom. That headache is a warning that you have done harm do to over-exertion - continuing as you are could lead to permanent worsening of your ME. Perhaps try playing one half and stop THAT if you feel symptoms that day OR THE FOLLOWING ONE .

sorry guys I should have been clearer - I've completely stopped playing soccer since I realised I might have CFS. I'm into my 4th consecutive week of feeling well which is the best I've done in over 20 years (I'm praying I haven't just jinxed myself there).

If I achieve some semblance of health I'll gently start back exercising.

Leopardtail

:)

The yes (original question) doing too much mentally or physically can cause a whole range of problems including headaches / flu-like symptoms / exhaustion

DeGenesis

If I exert myself like that I will get a pounding in my head that feels like there is too much blood in my head. My blood pressure and heart rate will also go very high. My dx is POTS though.

Perhaps your intracranial pressure is rising too high during exercise? Remembering to keep breathing helps me, and I remember reading that if you stop breathing during exercise, your ICP skyrockets.

There was an article on Cort Johnson recently about ICP and it's possible connection with CFS/ME.

Last edited:
Thanks (I had to look up ICP). I find that with soccer it's not possible to forget to breathe since it's so aerobic.