• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Spinning a negative mindfulness therapy study into a published positive study"

Dolphin

This is probably a minority interest.
This isn't about ME/CFS specifically. Nor am I posting it because mindfulness is mentioned.

"Spinning a negative mindfulness therapy study into a published positive study"
by James C Coyne PhD
http://jcoynester.wordpress.com/201...herapy-study-into-a-published-positive-study/

Dr Coyne is an influential psychologist who is not afraid to criticise practices in psychology he is not happy with.

Here he talks about a psychology journal who doesn't like to publish null findings (he gives an example of a colleague to whom this happened).

He then gives an example of one study which had null findings by the main outcome measures, but how the investigators data mined/trawled and found something they then started talking about. I found it interesting to see the wording of the spin used.

Last edited:

A.B.

My suspicion is that repeated publication of only positives results in extreme bias in published studies, with incorrect findings not being seen to be challenged.

It also creates a narrative that is completely out of touch with reality, with different study groups confirming each others false claims. And when the therapy then doesn't work in practice, of course it's the fault of the patient.

alex3619

It also creates a narrative that is completely out of touch with reality, with different study groups confirming each others false claims. And when the therapy then doesn't work in practice, of course it's the fault of the patient.

Of course. Its how pseudoscience operates, should things degenerate that far. Their narrative is so internal to their group, that suddenly outsiders cannot be trusted to understand. Then of course you can ignore external criticism. Then you have no reality check at all, and the brakes are off to a one way right to Babbledom. It operates like a cult much more than a scientific discipline. Now its questionable how far down this road most of psychiatry has gone. Its less questionable with respect to BPS and psychogenic medicine.