• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone know what headache and malaise when shaking the head means?

A.B.

When I shake my head, even for just a few seconds, I get headache and a feeling somewhere between nausea and dizziness in the head. This unpleasant feeling is actually constantly there, I've just learned to ignore it. Car drives on uneven or curved roads have the same effect and can get very unpleasant (as far as I can tell, it's not related to visual sensation of movement, but the kinetic force the head is subject to) .

Does anyone have an idea what this means?

(I'm not sure in which subforum this should go so I'm posting here)

xchocoholic

I used to have this. I'm not sure what was causing it but eliminating my food intolerances and chemicals helped. So inflammation would make sense in my case.

Caffeine maybe ? It took a few months for me to feel the full benefits of eliminating caffeine for the first time in my life. I barely use any caffeine nowadays so any change is too small to notice.

And maybe it was a side effect of being upright too long regularly. Now I lay down frequently for an hour at a time to relieve my pots symptom / hypoperfusion.

Hth .. x

Last edited:

Valentijn

What makes you think inflammation?
Can't think of anything else it could possibly be! And my constant ME headache is probably related to inflammation, since fish oil keeps it under control. Also I have similar issues with head movements when it's bad.

peggy-sue

Headaches can be a sign of dehydration.

I've been getting mild ones, similar to what you're describing - I don't know if it's got anything to do with the slightly milder weather, or if it's the cold and chest infection I've got.

I have not been doing any "head-banging" for decades.