• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone in pain ever been on Fentanyl patches?

Misfit Toy

A few years back, when I started having the intercostal neuralgia, I was put on Fentanyl, as many opiate drugs make me sick.

This is a multi-tiered question:

If you have been on Fentanyl, can you sleep on it? I can sometimes, but rarely. I feel doped and it messes with my brain when I lay down and the more I lay down, don't move, etc...the more doped I become on it.

Also, are there times you can take a medicine and it's okay for you and other times it's not? For me, I can take Fentanyl and have no mood swings and other times it makes me into a raving you know what. I feel crazy on it. Chemistry is constantly changing and that is the only thing I can figure out. Sometimes I do great, other times...not so much.

Still missing Darvocet. Best drug ever.

*GG*

Yes, I was on Fentanyl years ago, I would sleep on my side due to hip/back pain, but started waking up in pain in my shoulders every hour! Changed the bed I think a short while after this, not before?

Did you know they give this to dying cancer patients?

GG

PS I was in a really bad place when I was on this, major pain which caused major insomnia etc..Not sure my mood was great, but probably no worse than usual, I was definitely more miserable back then! A lidocaine infusion into my bloodstream knocked the pain down 2 to 3 notches from a 9 or 10, on a 10 scale.

barbc56

I was on Fentynl patches a long time ago and it knocked me out, made me very ill but didn't help that much with the pain. The patch would also come off in the shower.

Several years ago there were reports of deaths. It's important to follow the directions which are very specific as that may have been a factor in the deaths of people on the patch.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20050715/deaths-seen-with-fentanyl-narcotic-pain-patch

This is my experience which may not apply to you.

Hope this helps and you find something that reduces your pain.

Barb

Misfit Toy

I am on the lowest dose which is 12 mcgs. I know it's side effects or how it could cause death. Usually, only if you cut it in half and it moves quicker into bloodstream.

@ggingues , they give all types of pain meds to cancer patients. Hydrocodone, etc. That's not shocking to me. I have one friend who is a cancer patient who is on Percocet. So, really doesn't matter.

I had lidocaine injections today with steroids. Not happy about the steroids..meaning the use of. We shall see.

you should join ioplist.com and than use the search function there. It is a forum for people that purchase prescription drugs from pharmacies overseas. I believe the site that sells darvocet is ttm2u (toptenmed2u). Go to ioplist and you will find all the info you need with a bit of persistance. good luck

Calathea

Good grief, don't start buying drugs online, especially not drugs like this! It's really, really dangerous.

A friend of mine with ME and fibro is on fentanyl. I don't think she's mentioned sleeping problems, but I know the loss of appetite is really being an issue for her, as she already has eating disorders.

As for deaths, I'd be surprised if there weren't any for any drug this serious. There are a huge number of deaths for paracetamol and the like.

Misfit Toy

@Calathea , yes it decreases appetite for sure. Not good for your friend. As far as deaths, any drug can cause death including antibiotics so...that doesn't scare me.

But, I agree about getting this darvocet online. It went off the market in 2010 so the fact that it may still be out there is weird.

Calathea

Yes, that was my point. Well, some drugs have a higher risk of death than others, and presumably there are some out there where it's actually a serious risk, and where it's worth avoiding that drug. But I can't think of any offhand. Some can interact with other risk factors, for instance they won't put you on the Pill if you are a smoker or have migraines, as it doubles your risk of stroke. I get migraines but don't smoke, and personally was not worried about the stroke risk as it was still tiny, but them's the rules.

I don't care whether a drug is still on the market or not, it's horrendously dangerous to buy prescription drugs online. A huge number of them are contaminated or just replaced with something else. And most of the time, there's a good reason why they're prescription-only, and that means you should be under a doctor's supervision.

Of course, this applies to illegal drugs as well. I'm vaguely curious about medical marijuana, there's sod-all else I can use for pain relief, but the risks are just too great. Even if I managed to get it from that friend of my partner's who grows it in his garden (and not all year round), where I could be reasonably sure it wasn't adulterated, I have no idea how it would interact with all the other meds I'm on and my complex medical conditions. And I really don't want to get involved in anything illegal.

Misfit Toy

I am all for medical marijuana or weed in general. I don't do too well on it and I get your concern. Here in the states, pot has become overly potent. I literally feel like I am smoking Jamaican Gold with just good ol' fashioned POT. Insane. Hoping to get my hands on some medical mary jane at some point.

Tristen

I've been on it a few different times and don't remember increased sleep problems, but yes at times it made me feel moody, crazy.....just not feeling good at all. Other narcotic analgesics don't do that to me so much. YES, Fentany definitely stands out as being one of the more weird narcotic analgesics. And that's true for most everyone.....don't need to have me/cfs to have that experience. It's also pretty bad to come off. It has to be tapered down very cautiously. I was on the 25 mcg's. The reports of deaths are most likely from abuse. I

Last edited:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Doses of the patches look very low. It takes like 100mcg iv before u would see dangerous effects from it but that depends on body weight etc.

i use tramadol for back pain. When i was first on it i couldn't take it at night as it was too stimulating.

Misfit Toy

@Tristen what's funny is 12 mcg of it knocks me out. I can't imagine anything higher. I am petite, so I am thinking my weight must have something to do with it. I could never take more. I can't believe this is more potent than morphine....really? YIKES. Morphine makes me itch from head to toe. I always worry if I develop cancer, what meds will I take since I can't tolerate them.

I was on Fentanyl yesterday for 8 hours and took the patch off so I could sleep. Since I can't sleep on it, I take it off. So, I am wasting a patch, but using it so that I can have less pain and then sleep that night. I wish it was the kind of thing where a patch lasted 12 hours tops. I cannot sleep on it for anything so I will never become addicted.

Pain has taught me..I could never be a drug addict because I loathe narcotics and they make me feel awful.

Now, weed....back in the day...that was good stuff! :thumbsup: When it was not crazy potent...it was the best sleep aid.

Tristen

@Tristen what's funny is 12 mcg of it knocks me out. I can't imagine anything higher. I am petite, so I am thinking my weight must have something to do with it. I could never take more. I can't believe this is more potent than morphine....really? YIKES. Morphine makes me itch from head to toe. I always worry if I develop cancer, what meds will I take since I can't tolerate them.

I was on Fentanyl yesterday for 8 hours and took the patch off so I could sleep. Since I can't sleep on it, I take it off. So, I am wasting a patch, but using it so that I can have less pain and then sleep that night. I wish it was the kind of thing where a patch lasted 12 hours tops. I cannot sleep on it for anything so I will never become addicted.

Pain has taught me..I could never be a drug addict because I loathe narcotics and they make me feel awful.

Now, weed....back in the day...that was good stuff! :thumbsup: When it was not crazy potent...it was the best sleep aid.

Lol, yep I know all about "back in the day". I was in high school in northern California when all that started up.

Last I checked the Fentanyl patches come in 12, 25, 50, and 100's. So there are people on much heavier than 12 and 25's. 50 was waaaaay too much for me.....can't imagine 100's. I'd be laid out. Your probably right that being so small is the reason the drug hits you so hard. And yes, mcg for mcg, it is more potent than morphine. All kinds of tricks done with dosing though. If you get too much it can cause life threatening breathing problems.....but then most all opiate narcotics will do that.

There are lots of options for narcotic pain control. I would consider something in pill form, and time released so that you could take one in the morning for all day pain control, then maybe a different med for nighttime....one that allows you to sleep. Wouldn't have to keep pulling patches off every night that way.

Last edited:

Calathea

The only pain medication I can take is:

* paracetamol (acetominophen), which has never done anything at all for me that I can tell, but I take it with other stuff in a spirit of hopefulness.

* tramadol, which somehow manages to make me dopey, even put me to sleep, in the daytime, but I can't sleep if I take it in the evening. Also if I have an empty stomach on it, which may happen even if I take it with meals (the tramadol lasts longer in my system than the meal does), I can get pain which is pretty similar to a gall bladder attack. Apparently it's in an area poetically known as the Sphincter of Oddi. It goes away after a while if I manage to get food down me, but last time my mouth was so dry that getting any food down me was really difficult, and it's not pleasant to experience for even a short time. I can't take codeine or morphine at all now, I get that happening whether I've eaten or not, and it's severe. I really wish I'd been warned of this before having my gallbladder out.

* diazepam, occasionally helpful on top of the others as a muscle relaxant.

Thankfully I don't do too badly where pain is concerned, but still, I'm in pain every day, and there are plenty of days where it's not just mild. I honestly have no idea what I can do about this. I'm doing stretches and such for muscular tension, but that only gets you so far, and if I'm in severe pain, I'm often not up to doing it.

I've heard that D-phenylalanine is good for pain, and have some sitting about, ready to try once I've got used to the other new supplements. Also I'm starting malic acid, though I think it's irritating my bladder.

Tristen

Hey Misfit, sorry it just slipped my mind......it's not doing much good to be pulling the patch off at night and right back on the next morning because the drug is building up in your system anyhow. I doubt you are having much impact on blood levels of the drug like that.

just cause it went off the market in the united states, does not mean it did else where. There is certainly safe online pharmacies you just need to do homework, but you seem to have your mind made anyway. I just thought I would provide you with the information.

barbc56

Info. on finding
Fake online pharmacies can manipulate their websites to appear legitimate, so checking the pharmacy’s license through your state board of pharmacy (or equivalent state agency) is an important step to know whether you are using a safe and legal online pharmacy
http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesF.../BeSafeRxKnowYourOnlinePharmacy/ucm318487.htm

Buying Medicines Over the Net:

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesF.../BeSafeRxKnowYourOnlinePharmacy/ucm294167.htm

Barb