• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lymphagen concern

I've recently read about the benefits of lymphagen cream for clearing lymph - which is appealing to me as someone who has swollen lymph nodes in the neck/jaw area.

I am concerned about trying it however, as a couple of years ago I had a "lymph drainage massage" - a type of massage where they push the lymph into the lymph nodes to flush them out - and about 24 hours later the reaction was so severe it put me in hospital, and took weeks to recover from.

I am slightly improved from that time and am still keen to try anything that will aid the recovery of my lymph nodes, but not keen on anything that will give such an adverse reaction as the drainage massage.

Does anyone have any experience trying lymphagen cream? Were there any adverse reactions? Is it possible to benefit by using only the tiniest dose each day to start with?

Very interested to hear people's thoughts/experiences with this.

Martial

If you had that bad of a reaction to lymph node massage I would just say be careful and start LOW and SLOW..

another really easy thing you can do for lymph stimulation is jump roping or trampoline jumping a few minutes several times a day, really any activity that is similar in mechanical applied technique would work well, Yoga also has many lymph drainage assistive poses :)

hope this all helps!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
A rebounder is a small indoor trampoline. You can get the lymph moving by bouncing on it while expending much less energy than jumping rope (thus less likely to cause PEM). I really like my rebounder. I also really like Tai Chi when I had time/enery to do it.

Seven7

Seven
@Little Bluestem but how do you deal with PEM, jumping in trampoline will put you in aerobic, which will exceed my AT = 115bpm? I am interested in finding a solution for my lymphnodes also.

Ema

A rebounder is a small indoor trampoline. You can get the lymph moving by bouncing on it while expending much less energy than jumping rope (thus less likely to cause PEM). I really like my rebounder. I also really like Tai Chi when I had time/enery to do it.
You can also get one with a frame if you suffer from OI.

Seven7

Seven
How does a frame help with OI? Balance/dizziness?
My issue is not going aerobic!!! jumping will break most everybody AT. So causing PEM?? Or maybe because you are moving the lyphm my be good??? I will be the guinea Pig and try. If I crash ARGGGGG

SOC

My issue is not going aerobic!!! jumping will break most everybody AT. So causing PEM?? Or maybe because you are moving the lyphm my be good??? I will be the guinea Pig and try. If I crash ARGGGGG
I'm wondering about going aerobic, too. Not something I'm willing to PEM over. But perhaps one can rebound in a way that helps with lymph drainage without going aerobic? I'm hoping our experienced members can clear that up for us.

Little Bluestem

@Little Bluestem but how do you deal with PEM, jumping in trampoline will put you in aerobic, which will exceed my AT = 115bpm? I am interested in finding a solution for my lymphnodes also.
I don't jump on the rebounder, I just bounce gently with the soles of my feet never leaving the surface of the rebounder. I use a pulse oximeter to monitor my heart rate. Despite the fact the directions say that you should be still when using it, I think it does OK. A chest strap monitor would be better.

golden

I am trying to get hold of lymphogen cream in the U.K.

What I discovered about me maybe of use to you, bootysdan, i dont know.

i had a terrible time with massages too. they would completely wipe me out make me worse for ages and then i would struggle to get back to my base line.

i had a very very bad time from an indian head massage too.

i was growing sick of paying money for things that made me really ill to have it labelled a 'healing crisis' only to never get through it and feel better.

i did have some success doing the perrin technique however. this is manual lymph drainage - but only in ONE direction (towards the heart). i am sorry i forget the further info.

Always if i had a detox occur after the session it was manageable and this has continyed to help. getting out the bath i towel dry in one direction even.

but another thing is the average lymph massage drainage is way too much pressure and can do damage - it only takes a light touch

i am more confident in trying small amounts of things now knowing i can help my system clear toxins this way.... and you can feel the lymph drain from the collar bone the neck, ears face and head.

golden

I don't jump on the rebounder, I just bounce gently with the soles of my feet never leaving the surface of the rebounder. I use a pulse oximeter to monitor my heart rate. Despite the fact the directions say that you should be still when using it, I think it does OK. A chest strap monitor would be better.

this is something i dont understand about myself.
rebounders cause me to relapse...as do holding vibrating machines (eg. power washer)

but i have been cycling quite well recently.

i wondered if the jumping up and down is the same problem i had with the massages going up and down? and like perrin says there is a problem with the valves (thats vague because i cant remember properly)

but another thing is the average lymph massage drainage is way too much pressure and can do damage - it only takes a light touch.

Unfortunately found this out the hard way... But still believe clearing the lymph nodes could be beneficial if done wisely, which is why i'm interested in the lymphagen.

If you manage to get a hold of it, let me know how it goes.

Little Bluestem

this is something i dont understand about myself.
rebounders cause me to relapse...as do holding vibrating machines (eg. power washer)
Have you tried just gently bouncing on the rebounder instead of jumping? It doesn't take a lot to get the lymph going.

I do not do it for very long. I do 400 bounces with a rest between each set of 100.

To clarify, 'manual lymph drainage' i.e. MLD isn't the same as Perrin technique or lymphatic drainage massage. MLD is based on a deep understanding of the lymphatic system, requires proper training and skill and experience to perform. Unfortunately anyone can claim to do it as the terms manual lymph drainage and MLD aren't protected, therefore it is important to find a practitioner qualified through a recognised school. MLD UK's website offers more information.

MLD dosn't push lymph through the vessels. Lymphatic vessels do not need a heart to pump, they have their own ability to contract, and are extremely sensitive to sensations which encourage contractions. These include lymph within the vessels and movement of muscles and blood within nearby blood vessels, and MLD.

An MLD practitioner will not work over tender, acutely swollen lymph nodes, or in areas where there is infection. Infectious agents are carried to the lymph nodes where they are attacked by cells of the immune system. Vessels around the nodes close to enable this. MLD would move lymph through the nodes, helping to spread infection further. If a 'foreign' particle (soot in miners is the classic example) enters a lymph node and cannot be destroyed by the immune system it will stay locked away in the node.

Massage does not directly encourage lymph drainage. It increases blood flow and therefore fluid to the tissues, and this fluid can only be removed by the lymphatic system, not as used to be said, the blood stream. Therefore, massage increases the lymphatic load, giving the system more work to do, so might in this sense be said to stimulate lymph movement. This does no harm to someone with a healthy lymphatic system, but massage should not be used in an area of the body with lymphoedema.

In recent years, the growing popularity of MLD and interest in the lymphatic system has led to many websites appearing which claim to carry 'information' about the lymphatic system or to offer 'therapies' to vulnerable people which are based on a minimal understanding of the system and a lot of imagination.