• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

KDM exercise testing

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi, got an apt for KDM for May 11th/12th. They are suggesting that KDM might want to do an exercise test on the second afternoon, but he will decide after he has seen me.

This raises some questions and queries. How often does he ask patients to do this? how exhausting/long is it? is it on a bike for example?

Any special clothing needed? i'm pretty certain I read @Valentijn say on a thread that she ended up top off? (not really up for that)

I don't mind doing it if necessary, it's just that I need to book my tickets for the car train back through the tunnel (we are driving) and I have no idea what time to book for - don't want to be waiting around for hours either in Calais if he decides not to do it either.

Also concerned about travelling home late if knackered from long day in clinic - although to be fair this is one of the reasons for driving v train, as I can get in car with blanket, pillow and food and be driven without having other people around like on a train and having to sit up in a wheelchair the whole way and then have to go on public transport across London.

All the best,
Justy

Valentijn

This raises some questions and queries. How often does he ask patients to do this? how exhausting/long is it? is it on a bike for example?

Any special clothing needed? i'm pretty certain I read @Valentijn say on a thread that she ended up top off? (not really up for that)
It wasn't mentioned at my initial appointments, but was scheduled at my followup appointment when test results had arrived. I strongly recommend wearing a sports bra :p All of the leads should be able to go around one, or just barely under it.

First I laid down on a table with the leads attached, then got onto the bike and they were re-attached. Jan was very helpful in steadying me and adjusting the bike and strapping my feet in. He's accustomed to very messed up ME patients, I think. Then some spirometry stuff (blow blow blow!), then the cycling started.

It starts at a very easy level, and you're instructed to keep a certain reading on the bike at a certain level. He told me to tell him when I couldn't keep going, and that we'd keep going a couple minutes more at an easier level once I reached that point. I think it took about 20 minutes total, but then I had to sit on the floor for about 10 minutes to catch my breath afterward. So it should take half an hour at most.

It's definitely crash-inducing, but nice to have results showing that I am disabled. It looks like KDM also makes notes of any abnormalities in the cardiac readings (he is a cardiologist after all), so that can also be helpful.

snowathlete

I declined this test. I pointed out that I had done GET once for five minutes under the NHS on a cycle on the lowest setting and that caused a massive and basically permanent crash in me so I wouldn't be willing to do any kind of exercise test even if it gave some useful data for treatment in this case. He was fine with this.