• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Newbie requesting assistance with Yasko SNP data

Hi All,

I am a newbie who finally stumbled upon this website while trying to make sense of my methylation nutrigenomic data. I have attached my Yasko SNP test results. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a summary of my medical background information: I have a 30 year history of CFS, depression, anxiety and insomnia. My CFS was so bad at one point that I was almost completely bedridden for several years. Then I found a fantastic physician who implemented Dr. Lerner's high-dose Valtrex protocol. Within six months, I went from barely being able to get out of bed to being able to work a full time job. I later went back to school and started a new career. It has been about five years since then. I had a "relapse" of the CFS briefly about three years ago but we repeated the Learner protocol which was again successful.

I still suffer from severe brain fog, depression, anxiety and insomnia and I still tire easily. My physician suspected that I probably had methylation pathway mutations but at the time I couldn't afford nutrigenomic testing. So he treated me empirically with Dr. Konynenburg's simplified methylation protocol. I responded somewhat to it. Unfortunately, my physician moved to a different state a couple of years ago so that was as far as we got.

I swore that one day I would save up for nutrigenomic testing. Well, folks, that day has come! Now I just need to figure out what it means so I can, hopefully, get better and start experiencing a happier and healthier life.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

Nutrigenomic Test Results.jpg

Critterina

Hey, @Trying to get better ,

Remember that my opinion is that of a non-medical person: just an opinion. You need to decide for yourself what to do.

MTHFR A1298C +/- is only a heterozygous mutation, but from what you said "depression, anxiety", it's likely having an effect on your life. Supplementing with methylfolate will likely help.

MTRR A66G +/+ probably slows down the use of methylfolate for recycling homocysteine to methionine. It's probably been to your benefit up to this point, in that you might have had more anxiety and depression without it. For better functioning of this cycle, you would want to supplement with B12. Methylcobalamin (methylB12) may work for you; if it doesn't HydroxyB12 probably will. I would be sure to start the methylfolate first, and then start the B12 slowly in increase. You may find that you need to increase the methylfolate as you add B12. I laugh at my choice of words "I would be sure..." because I have those exact same SNPs, but not knowing about this at the time, I started them together.

I know you had to save up for this test, so it may be a while before you do another test. One thing that people worry about is too high homocysteine, so you might want to check that. Homocysteine can be recycled to methionine through the BHMT pathway - and yours works fine. So, maybe it's not all that important (I don't really know) to supplement with B12 so that homocysteine gets recycled through both pathways.

You might look up what Yasko or Heartfixer say about the ACHY. Heartfixer is at http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm and I read it and it doesn't give me any warm fuzzies about knowing what to do. Apparently the SNP slows down conversion of methionine to SAMe and on to homocysteine. Speeding it up may affect our neurotransmitters, since SAMe donates methyl groups to them. Maybe someone else will come in with better info, or maybe you can just go ahead and see how you do on methylfolate and mb12.

Thank you, @Critterina! I appreciate your advice.

Yesterday I was really suffering from brainfog and fatigue. So when I happened to receive the sulfate testing strips that I had ordered in the mail I went ahead and tested my urine. My levels were >1600 mg/L. I took some hydroxy B12 that also arrived and tested again today and now the level is >800. I'm still brainfoggy but at least now I'm hopeful we that are on the right track! :)

Critterina

Thank you, @Critterina! I appreciate your advice.

Yesterday I was really suffering from brainfog and fatigue. So when I happened to receive the sulfate testing strips that I had ordered in the mail I went ahead and tested my urine. My levels were >1600 mg/L. I took some hydroxy B12 that also arrived and tested again today and now the level is >800. I'm still brainfoggy but at least now I'm hopeful we that are on the right track! :)

Could you tell any difference on the B12? Any improvement, other than your hopefulness? (And that DOES count! Today I had an MRI for a brain tumor, which I'd been wondering about for 3 months, unable to convince a doctor that the lab results were abnormal- I was elated!) And negative effects (worse mood)? Please watch out for negatives.

Be ready to supplement with methylfolate, as the B12 could drain your methylfolate and have bad effects on your mood, or give you acne-like symptoms, cracks at the corners of your mouth, and such. Those are common signs of folate deficiency induced by the B12, and they happened for me (the acne was even all through my scalp.) Freddd has written about this phenomenon extensively

Probably unrelated, I developed perioral dermatitis, which looks similar but does not respond to increased methylfolate. I now have 2 of 3 Rxs to deal with that...the third one is awaiting pre-authorization.