• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Living the Half-life of ME/CFS

View the Post on the Blog

Jody Smith relates how tiny victories helped her regain a life despite her limitations.

What is it about situations that are unfamiliar that make our brains feel lumpy and our bodies feel like they are moving (or trying to) in another dimension?

When I was at my sickest with ME/CFS, this wasn't much of a problem, because I was spending most of my time hugging my bed, trying not to fall off the world. When I got a bit healthier, the unfamiliar began to present a new kind of problem, needing new strategies to be worked out for daily survival.

For instance, when I was once again able to dress myself and venture outside of my house, stepping out of the front door was just the first of a series of overwhelming challenges. That year, my goal was to try to go back into the little library of my town.

The last time I'd been in there, I experienced an ME/CFS crash. At that time, I had no idea how to handle such a thing. I'd gone down the stairs to the children's section with my five kids, ages four to twelve. They were browsing through books, and I was, suddenly, trying not to fall down.

I gave them a few minutes to find books, trying to breathe without my heart exploding, and staggered out of there with kids and books in tow. We went home, and I collapsed on the couch for hours.

I didn't try to go back for several years.

By the time I tried another foray to the library, I had learned a few things. My husband Alan drove me there, and waited in the car for me. I held onto the railing, and dragged myself up the stairs into the building. I walked very slowly, and fumbled my way through a few of the rows of shelves.

I didn't even try to look at book titles. The goal was simply to walk in and walk out under my own steam. The floor felt unstable under my feet, and the walls and bookshelves seemed to move in on me. By the time I was heading back out the door, my vision was fractured, my face and arms were numb and tingling, and my feet were shuffling as I hoped they knew where they were going.

Back in the car, I closed my eyes and melted into the seat, while Alan drove me home and saw me off to bed for the rest of the day.

But I'd done it. And the next week I did it again. On my next trip, I took out a book. Al carried it for me, and helped me down the library stairs. I felt like a hero.

The thing that "normal" people don't get, is that none of this hallucinatory weirdness was from shyness or deep-seated aversion to this library. This had been my favorite place when I was a child, and it was still a place I loved.

I wasn't afraid of the people. The librarians were friendly and helpful and would have done anything I asked. For example, when I couldn't fill out my new library card because of tendinitis, the librarian filled out everything but my signature. She was kind to someone who seemed fragile, as I knew she would be.

It's not agoraphobia - more like vertigo. It's not anxiety. It's full-blown paresthesia, POTS, orthostatic intolerance, and who knows what else. There is no element of psychological or emotional ambivalence.

I don't know what the physiological dynamics are, but I do know they are physiological. I was a very outgoing, sociable person who had gotten used to being in charge when needed, and who also enjoyed sitting back and watching other people shine. I had led a county-wide homeschooling association, ran departments in my church, and had a life that was branching out in many directions.

That person went into stasis when my body stopped cooperating, but she wasn't gone. I didn't become someone else. My mainframe simply couldn't support the kind of activity it used to in the past.

So I learned how to live the half-life. By this I do not mean "half-life" according to the medical or scientific definition. I just mean ... it's not a whole life. But I can't let the fact that it isn't whole stop me from going for it whenever and however I can.

People, at times, may think they are looking at someone who is timid and a little slow, but that's not the way it is. Instead, what they're seeing is someone who is determined to take as many tiny steps at whatever rate will keep me within my safe parameters.

They're seeing someone who is intent on regaining as much of her life as is possible. And if it has to be done slowly with long breaks between steps, if she has to "deja vu" the steps until they are so familiar she could do them in her sleep, then so be it.

All of us move at a different pace. Sometimes the pace can be so slow as to seem like nothing is happening at all. But that doesn't make the victories any less significant, in fact they may be more stellar when they are at this basic survival level.

Our short-term goals are all highly individualistic. One person with ME/CFS might be thrilled at getting dressed before bedtime. Another might be able to spend a day with their kids. I have achieved these particular goals more times than I can count, what with crashes and setbacks.

I have been lucky enough to be able to move on to bigger goals - taking on new freelance work, going to visit a friend for the afternoon, having company for the weekend... Last weekend, I was able to be present for my daughter's wedding and reception, with nary a crash before, during or afterward.

It would be nice to be able to assume from this progress that things will just escalate to bigger and better victories. Of course you and I know that there are no guarantees.

I do know, though, that whatever state I find myself in, living the half-life is still the way to go. It is the way to re-stabilize, to gain more energy, and to step into new things. As long as I do it by slowly and repeatedly making the unfamiliar more familiar. Because for some reason, the unfamiliar throws my body and brain into a tailspin.

How do you handle the half-life that is ME/CFS?

Phoenix Rising is a registered 501 c.(3) non profit. We support ME/CFS and NEID patients through rigorous reporting, reliable information, effective advocacy and the provision of online services which empower patients and help them to cope with their isolation.

There are many ways you can help Phoenix Rising to continue its work. If you feel able to offer your time and talent, we could really use some more authors, proof-readers, fundraisers, technicians etc. and we'd love to expand our Board of Directors. So, if you think you can help then please contact Mark through the Forum.

And don't forget: you can always support our efforts at no cost to yourself as you shop online! To find out more, visit Phoenix Rising’s Donate page by clicking the button below.

View the Post on the Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Jody for a beautiful account...again, of your personal account of living with this disease. You have such an effective way of writing. I can imagine in my mind your first visit back to the library.

Congratulations on your daughter's marriage!

It's interesting that I'm reading this article of 'half life' today. Yesterday, I went to a chiropractor who also uses energy medicine. He worked on me with manipulations for about a half hour in silence, when he suddenly stopped and declared; 'You know why you are so sick? It's because only half of your brain is functioning!' I was taking aback, but he continued to explain that my brain can't control the function of keeping the body in a healthy state because it is only half-functioning.

I never heard it explained that way. Is he describing neurological damage? I'm not sure but, needless to say that he continued working on manipulating my head for another 20 minutes!

Thank you for your article.

Thank you, Jody for a beautiful account...again, of your personal account of living with this disease. You have such an effective way of writing. I can imagine in my mind your first visit back to the library.

Congratulations on your daughter's marriage!

It's interesting that I'm reading this article of 'half life' today. Yesterday, I went to a chiropractor who also uses energy medicine. He worked on me with manipulations for about a half hour in silence, when he suddenly stopped and declared; 'You know why you are so sick? It's because only half of your brain is functioning!' I was taking aback, but he continued to explain that my brain can't control the function of keeping the body in a healthy state because it is only half-functioning.

I never heard it explained that way. Is he describing neurological damage? I'm not sure but, needless to say that he continued working on manipulating my head for another 20 minutes!

Thank you for your article.

That is interesting, Nielk. That is something I've not heard before. But I would always at least consider the impressions and feedback from people who do any type of energy work.

I had a woman do Reiki on me a few years ago. After two sessions she told me she needed to teach me how to do it myself. This was because she considered my situation to be so extreme as to need this treatment every day.

I can't say I'm very good at it but I try. And I think she was right in her assessment of just how depleted my energy was.

As to what he was describing to you ... of course this is just a guess -- He might have meant neurological damage but not necessarily. I think there are likely many possibilities. could be anything from vertigo to clogged blood vessels, to inadequate neurotransmitters to low blood volume to ... well, you know, all kinds of things could be involved.

And it's possible that he may have been trying to describe something and not been able to put it into words correctly. But from my past experience I'd suggest that you not worry too much about what the specifics might be, and just see instead if his continued attentions to the area make a difference you can notice, over time.

I don't understand how energy work does its thing, at all. But I do know I've benefitted from reiki and acupuncture. My chiropractor does laser treatments which to me seems like a form of energy work. Five minutes with a laser almost always makes a difference for my bad knee or my bad shoulder or ... Energy treatments may well have been among the main things that have helped me to continue to recover.

That sounds to me exactly like how people who are sensitive to biotoxins react when they go to a bad place. And like schools, libraries often do not have very good maintenance budgets and thus can be really moldy.

In general, I avoid going to libraries. If I did go to one and it gave me a bad reaction such as the one you describe, I would shower immediately after getting home and bag my clothes that I wore to the library to be washed. And then not go back.

Because if not going to a bad library or taking a shower before getting into bed can keep me from getting sick, that sounds like a smart plan.

Best, Lisa

Slayadragon,

Could be a possibility. But the thing is, once I had been back in there a few times, and the place became more familiar again, my neurological reactions diminished, to the point that I could go in, pick out books and carry on a coherent conversation with the librarian, and felt fine when I walked out again. Mind you it took many visits over a period of a few months to get to that point.

I had the same type of vertigo-ridden, vibrating reaction to any store or someone's home, the first time I went back in after getting really sick. Floor would seem to rise up in waves, walls and store shelves would move in and out and I would stagger along feeling like I was going to bump into things... couldn't remember why I was in there, could not speak a sentence nor understand things that were said to me.

It really seemed to me like there was some kind of sensory overload, and like my nervous system was just not up to sorting itself out as I moved around. As the place became more familiar again and moving about was more "on automatic" I would become more normal in there.

Happened everywhere I went at that time. And even while I could go into places and feel fine when they were places I frequented, if I went somewhere new or someplace I hadn't been in some time ... I was back to square one again, as my nervous system (or whatever it was) would become confused and lost again ... till the place became familiar.

Weird.

Slayadragon,

Could be a possibility. But the thing is, once I had been back in there a few times, and the place became more familiar again, my neurological reactions diminished, to the point that I could go in, pick out books and carry on a coherent conversation with the librarian, and felt fine when I walked out again. Mind you it took many visits over a period of a few months to get to that point.

I had the same type of vertigo-ridden, vibrating reaction to any store or someone's home, the first time I went back in after getting really sick. Floor would seem to rise up in waves, walls and store shelves would move in and out and I would stagger along feeling like I was going to bump into things... couldn't remember why I was in there, could not speak a sentence nor understand things that were said to me.

It really seemed to me like there was some kind of sensory overload, and like my nervous system was just not up to sorting itself out as I moved around. As the place became more familiar again and moving about was more "on automatic" I would become more normal in there.

Happened everywhere I went at that time. And even while I could go into places and feel fine when they were places I frequented, if I went somewhere new or someplace I hadn't been in some time ... I was back to square one again, as my nervous system (or whatever it was) would become confused and lost again ... till the place became familiar.

Weird.
That is very interesting, Jody.

I too suffer from remaining upright in a stationary position. If I move it seems that that gets the blood supply moving and stops the dizziness. I don't have tachycardia or blood pressure problems standing. If I had to stand in a line (queue) I couldn't.

My solution? A wonderful inexpensive tripod camping stood with a shoulder/carrying strap. It gives me a normal height tripod canvas seat which unfolds very quickly.

This got me out of the house, on my own, and I sat as soon as I knew I needed to. I thought I'd be stared at but in an urban environment I was completely ignored. Little by little I walked some more steps and have improved a great deal.

I still can't stand upright and still for long though, so take my stool which hangs down under my arm discretely.

Do others have tools that help them increase their range and ability?
Suella

I too suffer from remaining upright in a stationary position. If I move it seems that that gets the blood supply moving and stops the dizziness. I don't have tachycardia or blood pressure problems standing. If I had to stand in a line (queue) I couldn't.
Actually if your blood isn't moving sufficiently, that is a blood pressure problem. It should show up as a low pulse pressure (the difference between systolic and diastolic measurements).

My solution? A wonderful inexpensive tripod camping stood with a shoulder/carrying strap. It gives me a normal height tripod canvas seat which unfolds very quickly.

This got me out of the house, on my own, and I sat as soon as I knew I needed to. I thought I'd be stared at but in an urban environment I was completely ignored. Little by little I walked some more steps and have improved a great deal.

I still can't stand upright and still for long though, so take my stool which hangs down under my arm discretely.

Do others have tools that help them increase their range and ability?
Suella

Suella,

That's a smart solution to a potentially limiting problem. I had the same type of problem for several years -- could not stand up for long and could not stand in place for more than a minute or two at most. I would become shaky and dizzy and need to prop myself up against something -- or better yet, sit down -- or better still, lay down.

I've been bedridden now since last December, housebound previous to that, needed to use a wheelchair before that on short trips out and previous to that, now 8 years ago, I too used a stick that turned into a seat and would use it in queues etc. it was very helpful for my abilities then. I got a few stares but not many and they didn't bother me as the seat allowed me more independence.

Great article Jody. You write so well

I've been bedridden now since last December, housebound previous to that, needed to use a wheelchair before that on short trips out and previous to that, now 8 years ago, I too used a stick that turned into a seat and would use it in queues etc. it was very helpful for my abilities then. I got a few stares but not many and they didn't bother me as the seat allowed me more independence.

Great article Jody. You write so well

Thanks Anniekim.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're bedridden for so long. That makes life so hard. I hope that some recovery is ahead of you soon.

I tend to use a lot of tools and disability aids to help me. I had a cane chair (is like a cane but then folds out into a seat) to help me when out. Im about to receive a wheelchair thou, the cane chair isnt enough.

Taniaaust1

That sucks about needing a wheelchair, on the other hand, it will be a good tool to help you get around. Maybe you'll be able to get back to that cane chair again one day. It sounds like a pretty cool device.

I noticed today while sitting at the computer typing I started seeing stars, the kind one usually see just before fainting, all though I was sitting, I didnt feel like I was going to faint but I know something had changed in my body just not sure what it was. Wish I had a cuff on just at that moment to check pressure.

I noticed today while sitting at the computer typing I started seeing stars, the kind one usually see just before fainting, all though I was sitting, I didnt feel like I was going to faint but I know something had changed in my body just not sure what it was. Wish I had a cuff on just at that moment to check pressure.

I get some weird visuals from time to time as well. Not sure what sets it off. For awhile I was prone to having squiggly black lines moving especially in my peripheral vision, sometimes in both eyes, sometimes just in one.

I got hurt once by a chiropractor (quit going to him after that) leaving me with intense pain around my neck, shoulders that lasted for weeks. And I was getting this visual thing for a couple of weeks after as well.

I get some weird visuals from time to time as well. Not sure what sets it off. For awhile I was prone to having squiggly black lines moving especially in my peripheral vision, sometimes in both eyes, sometimes just in one.

I got hurt once by a chiropractor (quit going to him after that) leaving me with intense pain around my neck, shoulders that lasted for weeks. And I was getting this visual thing for a couple of weeks after as well.

I saw this in my research tonight, not sure if it applies to your sit but thought of you when I read it.

There is also something that is called "Scheerer's phenomenon" or "blue field entoptic phenomenon".

This is basically the ability to see white blood cells traveling through in the squiggly capillaries of your retinas... especially when looking at a blue light. (like the sky)

When a leukocyte travels through.. it makes a wiggling motion. The link below is very interesting and even has an impression of this phenomenon. "Scheerer's phenomenon"

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77825

How lyme impacts the eyes - legit sources from Marnie, 2-22-09

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi? artid=504579

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/ 76692?#000007

Originally posted by Rebekah 6.7.09

I saw this in my research tonight, not sure if it applies to your sit but thought of you when I read it.

There is also something that is called "Scheerer's phenomenon" or "blue field entoptic phenomenon".

This is basically the ability to see white blood cells traveling through in the squiggly capillaries of your retinas... especially when looking at a blue light. (like the sky)

When a leukocyte travels through.. it makes a wiggling motion. The link below is very interesting and even has an impression of this phenomenon. "Scheerer's phenomenon"

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77825

How lyme impacts the eyes - legit sources from Marnie, 2-22-09

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi? artid=504579

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/ 76692?#000007

Originally posted by Rebekah 6.7.09

Thanks Roxie

Not sure I want to see white blood cells ...:) Looks interesting. I will check out your links.