• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Borrelia IgG 1:400 (positive)

Thinktank

So, just got the results back from an ELISA test on IgM and IgG against Borrelia.
IgM came back negative but IgG is 1:400 (positive).

Can one have lyme's disease with negative IgM and positive IgG?
The doc. says it shows a past exposure but i'm currently not infected, i believe that's bull so i want further testing to be done. What's considered as the golden-standard for lyme's testing?

cigana

There is no real gold standard, that's the problem. It's best to make a clinical diagnosis.
However, you can also simply keep trying PCR periodically, check which bands you get on a western blot and see if any are specific to lyme. Antiobiotic challenges are useful too, to bring the borrelia out of hiding and into the bloodstream.
But I would go for the clinical diagnosis with a good lyme doc.

Thinktank

cigana, i have to be in Belgium and Germany next month and will do all testing for lyme and co-infections with infectolab and redlabs. KDM is a pretty good lyme-literate doc. if i have to believe so, looking forward to what he will have to say.

After doing some reading on IgG and IgM i found out that a positive IgG and negative IgM is indicative of late stage lyme disease.

I'm not a big fan of abx now i know how important our microbiome is, but it looks like it's the only way to eradicate that bug.

cigana

cigana, i have to be in Belgium and Germany next month and will do all testing for lyme and co-infections with infectolab and redlabs. KDM is a pretty good lyme-literate doc. if i have to believe so, looking forward to what he will have to say.

After doing some reading on IgG and IgM i found out that a positive IgG and negative IgM is indicative of late stage lyme disease.

I'm not a big fan of abx now i know how important our microbiome is, but it looks like it's the only way to eradicate that bug.
KDM only uses abx that are targetted to the infection, not broad spectrum that wipe out large swathes of the microbiome. He combines abx with probiotics to help with this problem. He has done much research on the gut and CFS so he knows the effect of what he is doing, but has calculated that the risk is worth it. Of course there is always risk though.

Hi SOC,
Do you know where the posts are that discuss her reasons for taking abx and how much they helped?

Well she is down on antibiotics for lyme now. She disagrees with that. I believe she stopped at least 3 years ago? I don't know if she has early posts being pro-antibiotics or not.

SOC is someone else, by the way. It's a common mistake.

cigana

Well she is down on antibiotics for lyme now. She disagrees with that. I believe she stopped at least 3 years ago? I don't know if she has early posts being pro-antibiotics or not.

SOC is someone else, by the way. It's a common mistake.
doh :)

I find it strange that someone can respond to antibiotics and then consider that the reason they stop responding is due to some change in the body, some kind of reaction or change in the body's response or immune function. Isn't it more likely that the bacteria that was being treated has responded? I mean this is known to happen, via resistance, or biofilm formation, or in the case of borrelia by shifting forms. So why not continue to treat the bacteria (eg. with herbs) or the downstream effects of the bacteria, rather than switching to trying to treat an unknown response in the body...

Thinktank

Well, i got my Borrelia Elispot LTT result back from infectolab.

Borrelien Elispot LTT
Borrelia burgd. Vollantigen + 4 / ref. rage = <2
Borrelien-OSPA/OSPC/DbpA 1 / ref. rage = <2
Borrelien spezifisch LFA-1 0 / ref. rage = <2

Also IgG titers of 1:400 is considered medium.

Now waiting for the immunoblot, CD57 and co-infection results from RED labs....

To the lyme sufferers, do you consider my results as positive or negative?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Well, i got my Borrelia Elispot LTT result back from infectolab.

Borrelien Elispot LTT
Borrelia burgd. Vollantigen + 4 / ref. rage = <2
Borrelien-OSPA/OSPC/DbpA 1 / ref. rage = <2
Borrelien spezifisch LFA-1 0 / ref. rage = <2

Also IgG titers of 1:400 is considered medium.

Now waiting for the immunoblot, CD57 and co-infection results from RED labs....

To the lyme sufferers, do you consider my results as positive or negative?

Can you clarify those Infectolab numbers?

The first one must be +4, but are the others +1 and +10?

Sushi

Thinktank

first one is +4, second one is +1 and the third one is 0. The test is called LFA-1

Here's the translated version.

Material: CPDA-Blood, Serum, EDTA-Blood, Heparin-Blood

Borrelia burgdorferi Elispot LTT
Borrelia burgd. Fully Antigen + 4 SI < 2
Borrelia OSP-Mix (OSPA/OSPC/DbpA) 1 SI < 2
Borrelia LFA-1 0 SI < 2

The results of the Elispot-Lymphocyte-Transformation-Tests are an indication for an
actual cellular activity against Borrelia burgdorferi.
Explanation Elispot-LTT (LymphocyteTransformationTest):
This method detects an antigen (Borrelia, Chlamydia, Ehrlichia, EBV, Yersinia) induced
release of interferon gamma by reactive lymphocytes. In the Elispot-LTT the Tlymphocytes
are stimulated by bacterial or viral antigens. Antigen specific release of
IFN gamma is detected by a standardized ELISA colour technique in form of “spots”.
The number of spots is resulted in form of a stimulation-index (SI) in comparison with a
negative control (reference range: < 2 SI).
Results = 2 SI (borderline) or > 2 SI (positive) mean a specific response of the Tlymphocytes
regarding the different antigens in the Elispot-LTT. The higher the result of
the SI, the stronger is the T-cellular immune-response in general.