• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tried Bee Pollen?

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I have severe hayfever, grass seed allergy, and vasomotor rhinitis (I get severe allergy attacks even w/o an allergen, due to hormone changes or changes in weather/humidity). When I say severe = I go through 8 boxes of Kleenex a day and whenever I meet up with anyone who knew me as a kid it is the first thing they remember about me. It has been the bane of my existence and the reason I cannot work in anything with people interfacing.

It so happens I am allergic to cartilage bits also and so cannot bike ride for health as it causes severe joint pain (arthritis is an allergy!). I read it has been proven that chicken soup BEATS this because it contains cartilage and eating cartilage / collagen confers immunity to allergic response after 3 months. So they sell it as a pill now called UC-II (which I have ordered).

So I got to wondering. The American Indians were not allergic to poison ivy and they ATE it. Could that be the reason? I am, allergic to cats and yet used to my own...could it be because they sleep with me and I end up eating cat hair???

So I wondered about all those bee products we with allergies are warned away from, and it even seem to me there were teas similar to ragweed we were warned away from...was it chamomile? So what if we ate these things instead of avoiding them. So I read on line that bee products have caused anaphalactic reactions. Still, I was kindof thinking of trying it. Has anyone else done so???

Plum

I know of many people who are helped by consuming local honey - it has to be really local though. Nothing helps me. Bee pollen did nothing for me. Reishi mushroom supplements from a company called MRL do help me. I think colostrum helps people too but again it needs to be local cows. Don't know if local raw dairy would help - similar concept.

xchocoholic

I took bee pollen but I don't remember it helping. I really need meds tho if
I'm having a reaction. fwiw. I reacted to my chihuahuas their whole lives.
I had to bath them in Dawn dish soap every week.

fwiw, I've found that if I keep a children's chewable Benadryl in the back
of my mouth and just let it dissolve, it stops my rhinitis. If I'm really
having a bad reaction I may need to repeat this. The trick is to let it dissolve slowly.
It should be bathing your throat for about 15 minutes.
The quick dissolve tablets
don't work as well as the other. Off brands are ok.

I haven't found these in a dye free formula so I use children's dye free liquid
most of the time. I haven't found it to work as well for rhinitis tho.

Dumb question ... are you using chlorine free tissues ? If not you may be
adding to your problem. I'm cheap ; ) so I just use whole foods chlorine free
toilet paper.

tc ... x

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Well I should state that there are 3 things I know that help me significantly incase any of you haven't tried them.

(1) nettle (but I need to carry with me and keep retaking because it lasts maybe 4 hours and needs to be refreshed)
(2) Omega-3 but only in a dose of 9g/day (and my digestive tract can no longer take that much fat at once). The dose is important because the point is to use up the enzymes for digesting omega-6 so that inflammatory cytokines cannot be produced
(3) spirulina (I am just trying this this year but have not taken it long enough. This year allergy season was short and not much time to experiment). This does work but if you don't take it in advance it takes awhile to get enough in your system. For future I will try 2g/day forever as after 3 months this is supposed to work (and this is a low reasonable dose). I may be able to make (3) work for next time at that low dose, we'll see. It DOES have significant effect.

I miss Flonase - it no longer works for me but used to work so well I'd forget I had allergies. Now I am finding my thyroid and adrenal go out during allergy season and my cholesterol and blood pressure go up, so allergies could be fatal. In fact I make PAF (platelet aggregatibg factor) in the presence of histamine and this can cause stroke. So...allergies are far from just miserable.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Bee pollen gave me insomnia. Too bad, it sounded great to me.

Oh, I would take magnesium for insomnia and see if I could make it work. I always have to experiment with methods to get them to work even if the main idea helps significantly it often needs tweaking to integrate into your life.

When did you go batty??? I foget what your icon was in the past but I never figured you for a bat. are you feeling spooky? Or like a night creature? Or like taking a bite out of some people...?