• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Researchers probe link between autism and gastrointestinal problems

Makes sense to me. Is what I have felt and thought for years. I believe gut reaction generates immune response, and this causes problems throughout the body including brain. Problem is very few docs realize this connection. Hopefully, they can document this, and maybe someday, this information will be taken seriously, and universally.

xchocoholic

I'm not sure how this info is any different from all the biomed research already available. DAN and
the Autism Research Institute have been saying this for decades now. Googling leaky gut autism should
provide all the links necessary to see this research.

Personally, I started learning about this by reading
Jenny Mc Carthy's first book, Louder than words. I enjoyed her humorous approach to this delicate
subject. Healing the 4 a's was a good read. I've heard that the one about starving brains is very
well written but never read it.

Tc ... X

Old Salt

Rowing the boat
The medical industry, led by Big Pharma, is well aware of the potential of gut research to eventually very negatively impact their bottom line. The key to possibly all degenerative disease is in the gut.

waiting

I'm not sure how this info is any different from all the biomed research already available. DAN and
the Autism Research Institute have been saying this for decades now. Googling leaky gut autism should
provide all the links necessary to see this research.

Personally, I started learning about this by reading
Jenny Mc Carthy's first book, Louder than words. I enjoyed her humorous approach to this delicate
subject. Healing the 4 a's was a good read. I've heard that the one about starving brains is very
well written but never read it.

Tc ... X

It may not be new ... while I've read about the connections many have made between the 2 fields, I haven't read the research in depth, so I wouldn't really know.

What impressed me about the article was, given the similarities between ME and autism, I couldn't help but compare the 2 fields in terms of the research funding, international co-operation, and public interest that autism enjoys and ME lacks. I was struck by the relative dearth of even public interest (this was a lecture series for later-life learning!), never mind research funding, in ME. There were references to so many large research studies (the Beijing Genomics Institute is sequencing the DNA of 10,000 children with autism ... 10,000! ), and there was significant joint U.S./ Canada advocacy ... have you ever heard of an ME Advocacy group described as an "advocacy powerhouse", as the U.S. Autism Speaks advocacy group was described?!

I don't begrudge the autism field any of this ... but when you compare the biological similarities, the contrast in these other differences is stark. It sure highlights the PR problem that ME has.

xchocoholic

This paragraph is what I found disturbing.

A potential gut-autism connection is complex, controversial and not well understood. Many physicians are skeptical and caution that research is in the early stages. But MacFabe’s presentation bringing together two of the hottest topics in medical research is a sign it is starting to garner attention beyond the lab.

A great deal of info in already available on this connection. As far as which bacteria may or may not be playing a role in autism that I haven't heard but the autism bio med community is well aware of the gut connection. I hate to see anyone try to re-invent the wheel here.

I "think" all integrative / functional doctors treat adults with ME and / or CFS the same way autistic kids are treated.
They use CDSAs, etc etc to dx leaky gut and offer treatments. I see an integrative doctor and although most of my symptoms are gone, I haven't been cured of my ME / POTS. Imho, I have a lot of permanent medical issues now from waiting 15 years to try this approach. So, it's doubtful I can recover.

tc ... x

waiting

This paragraph is what I found disturbing.

A great deal of info in already available on this connection. As far as which bacteria may or may not be playing a role in autism that I haven't heard but the autism bio med community is well aware of the gut connection. I hate to see anyone try to re-invent the wheel here.

I "think" all integrative / functional doctors treat adults with ME and / or CFS the same way autistic kids are treated.
They use CDSAs, etc etc to dx leaky gut and offer treatments. I see an integrative doctor and although most of my symptoms are gone, I haven't been cured of my ME / POTS. Imho, I have a lot of permanent medical issues now from waiting 15 years to try this approach. So, it's doubtful I can recover.

tc ... x

Yeah, maybe that was just the reporter's lack of knowledge...

I'm glad that most of your issues have been resolved through your doctor, but the ME/POTS are tough ones. Have you read The Patient Advocate's blog? I can't recall how many years his daughter has been ill for, but she has been showing significant improvement from MAF treatments. Here's a post from a few months ago, but there are several posts on this issue.

http://cfspatientadvocate.blogspot.ca/2012/10/maf-314-professor-marco-ruggiero.html