• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplements/herbs for Clonazepam tapering

I'm starting to taper off Clonazepam, which I've been taking for 10 weeks. I suffered a concussion in Nov. and had terrible sleep problems, so I started the Clonazepam along with Doxepin in early January.

My brain is still healing (very, very slowly, it seems) from the concussion, so I'm concerned about doing a benzo withdrawal right now as it might make things worse. But the sleep meds may be making it harder to heal the brain at this point, so I need to ween off them to find out.

I'm wondering what supplements or herbs anyone else has taken that helped them when they were getting off benzos (especially Clonazepam/Klonopin). I have Theanine and GABA already, but am looking for other ideas.

Thanks!

jeffrez

Melissa/melissa supreme, passionflower, valerian, kava are a few I'd consider.

Taurine as this helps gaba cross into the brain easier. maybe use an antihistamine for sleep when needed?

Thanks. I ordered some liquid Taurine today. I'm going to continue taking the Doxepin while taperin off the Clonazepam. Not sure if I'll use it long term, but maybe from time to time. I don't know if there are adverse affects from taking it a long time.

Anything you can recommend for depression symptoms (from the benzo withdrawal)? Can't take 5Htp, tryptophan or St. John's wort.

jeffrez

I'd go short-term low dose SSRI if you can find one you tolerate that doesn't increase anxiety. Gabapentin might also be worth trying to take the edge off both the depression and the anxiety. Cal/mag and magnesium, or epson salts baths or footbaths might also help with the benzo withdrawal.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Acupuncture might help. You could ask to have the tiny little needles taped into your ears, so you can press on them and stimulate them as needed.

Also, anything that might help the liver detoxify better--lemon water, chlorophyl, NAC.

The Doxepin is supposed to be an anti-depressant, but it doesn't seem to work well for that. I doubt my doc would let me start another anti-depressant since I'm already taking one, but thanks for the idea.

I do get acupuncture weekly, which helps.

I would like to find something for neurotransmitter support -- an amino acid supplement or something. Any ideas for that?

leela

I would like to find something for neurotransmitter support -- an amino acid supplement or something. Any ideas for that?

This is tricky, because of each individual's particular makeup/deficiencies etc.
However, there is a helpful book (with a stupid name) that has quite clear descriptions of the activities/symptoms of the
neurotransmitters. It's called "The Mood Cure":
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mood-Cure-Program-Emotions--Today/dp/0142003646/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363551718&sr=8-1&keywords=the mood cure

I was able to find one on bookfinder for just a few bucks.
Found it helpful for honing in a bit better on what might work.

This is tricky, because of each individual's particular makeup/deficiencies etc.
However, there is a helpful book (with a stupid name) that has quite clear descriptions of the activities/symptoms of the
neurotransmitters. It's called "The Mood Cure":
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mood-Cure-Program-Emotions--Today/dp/0142003646/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363551718&sr=8-1&keywords=the mood cure

I was able to find one on bookfinder for just a few bucks.
Found it helpful for honing in a bit better on what might work.

I found it at the library and put a hold on it - thanks! I wonder if it has anything about benzo withdrawal in it.