• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Urine sulfate strips - Yasko vs. Ctl Scientific

caledonia

I have the cheaper Ctl Scientific strips. The markings on it are <200, >400, >800, >1200, >1600.

Occasionally I will hear someone talk about 600. How do you get 600 out of that? Do the Yasko strips have more markings?

If you have the Yasko strips, can you post exactly what the markings are?

caledonia

If the Yasko strips do include a 600, I would consider it. I started at 1200, which quickly went to 800. But then it took FOREVER (like two months) to get to 400. I was wondering if what I was doing was even working. It would have been nice to have been able to watch it go to 600, then 400. However, I finally concluded that it was working and I just needed to stick with it, because of the increased sulfur smells coming out. Plus, Heartfixer/Yasko say it can take several months.

invisiblejungle

I just got the sulfite and sulfate strips from Yasko. They have 4 squares, just like the Ctl Scientific strips, and they indicate the same levels (<200, >400, >800, >1200, >1600). They're made by EMD Chemicals, and there are a few places online selling them for a little cheaper.

The instructions say, "If the measurement sample has a sulfate content lying between the values indicated on the color scale, one of the reaction zones shows a yellow area in the middle. In the event of higher sulfate contents, the edges also change color to yellow." So technically, it could show a level between 400 and 800.

What's interesting is that Yasko's strips need to be kept refrigerated, while the Ctl strips can be kept at room temperature. Not sure what that means.

Since I only have the minor CBS mutation, my practitioner didn't think that sulfates would be an issue. But my first reading this morning was >1600. I guess that means no more eggs for now! :thumbdown:

I just ordered the strips from Cntrl Scientific. I too would be interested in what you did to help lower your sulfates.

caledonia

I just followed the suggestions at the Heartfixer page (which is basically the Cliff Notes of Yasko's program). I hit it with everything suggested, that I could tolerate. http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

I can't afford Yasko's actual supps, so I checked out her supps and ordered exactly the same things in the same form, but in different brands from iHerb. It cut the cost in half.

I did order her CBS RNA, but it didn't muscle test well, so that I was able to return because you don't need to open the bottle to muscle test supplements.

As far as diet, I followed the free thiol diet and supplement list, instead of the low sulfur diet. http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/. It's not as strict as the low sulfur diet, and it's still effective.

I still need to eat meat for various reasons, so I didn't cut back on that.

I started each supplement one at time. I did notice a bit of an increase in energy with the l-carnitine fumarate, and the Yasko multi (due to the TMG in it), so those were pleasant surprises. Once I got about a month into it, I noticed increased rotten egg/sulfur smell in stools. It's pretty noticeable - lol. I believe this can be taken as evidence that you're actually detoxing the sulfur and ammonia (even if the numbers on the strip stay the same).

To answer your question, I don't think there was any one thing, it was the combination of several things. I just wanted to get through this as fast as possible because you can't really crank on the B12 and methylfolate until you get this taken care of, and those are the meat of the program.

My ability for tolerating methylB12 is slowly expanding - from 0.5mcg to 1.5mcg. Yes, you read that right - when I first started, anything over 1/2 microgram caused excitoxicity. My goal is to get up to at least 1000mcg. I have SNPs that allow large amounts of methyl groups.

Symptomatic

I finally received my Quantofix strips (purchased on Amazon).

-Can I test any time, or is this supposed to be done in the morning (or some other particular time)?
-The instructions I have show the strip being dipped into a cup of urine, do you guys do it this way or can it be used directly "in stream"?

Thanks!

invisiblejungle

To answer your question, I don't think there was any one thing, it was the combination of several things. I just wanted to get through this as fast as possible because you can't really crank on the B12 and methylfolate until you get this taken care of, and those are the meat of the program.

My ability for tolerating methylB12 is slowly expanding - from 0.5mcg to 1.5mcg. Yes, you read that right - when I first started, anything over 1/2 microgram caused excitoxicity. My goal is to get up to at least 1000mcg. I have SNPs that allow large amounts of methyl groups.

I actually think I'll need to start out as low as you. I'm soooo sensitive to B-vitamins. I also have SNPs that allow for high tolerance of methyl donors.

How did you get such a tiny dose of B12? Did you use a liquid drop and divide it?

My strips just arrived. Anyone else find these hard to read? It looks like my number might be somewhere between 400-800. Definetly not off the charts high as I thought it would be. I just started eliminating the sulfur foods this week. I plan on testing first thing tomorrow morning to see if there is any difference and then just wait another week to test.

caledonia

I actually think I'll need to start out as low as you. I'm soooo sensitive to B-vitamins. I also have SNPs that allow for high tolerance of methyl donors.
How did you get such a tiny dose of B12? Did you use a liquid drop and divide it?

The short answer is yes. Let me know if you need help with the math. I'm so sensitive, it works better for me if I work with consistent measurements, instead of just randomly diluting it down and drinking a little bit, hoping it's the right amount. Don't worry, this is like 4th grade math.

I've used this sort of method with many supplements (both liquid and powder) and have been successful in building up to a full amount over time. Whereas, many people take a full amount and have a reaction, and then give up saying they can't tolerate it.

Symptomatic

My strips just arrived. Anyone else find these hard to read? It looks like my number might be somewhere between 400-800. Definetly not off the charts high as I thought it would be. I just started eliminating the sulfur foods this week. I plan on testing first thing tomorrow morning to see if there is any difference and then just wait another week to test.

Same here...somewhere in the 400-800 range (and also found these hard to read...mine are from Quantofix).

invisiblejungle

The short answer is yes. Let me know if you need help with the math. I'm so sensitive, it works better for me if I work with consistent measurements, instead of just randomly diluting it down and drinking a little bit, hoping it's the right amount. Don't worry, this is like 4th grade math.

I've used this sort of method with many supplements (both liquid and powder) and have been successful in building up to a full amount over time. Whereas, many people take a full amount and have a reaction, and then give up saying they can't tolerate it.

Yes, please let me know exactly how you do it. Do you use a syringe or something?

caledonia

Yes, please let me know exactly how you do it. Do you use a syringe or something?

I use an eye dropper. You need a second empty eyedropper bottle (or two). Make sure it's dark brown glass because the methylcobalamin goes bad in the light. I think I got mine from a seller on Amazon.

My goal was to get it down to 1 drop = 1 mcg. I'm using Douglas Labs liquid methylcobalamin. One dropperful = 1000mcg. You could simply add 999 drops of water to one dropperful, but who wants to go through all that.

So what I did was count the average number of drops in a dropperful. The number was 30. So one drop = 30/1000mcg or 33 mcg.

You put the one drop in a separate bottle, then add 33 drops of water. 33mcg/33 drops = 1 mcg per drop.

If you need to go smaller still (I did), get another empty dropper bottle. Take the stuff that's diluted down to 1 mcg and for every drop you put in, add one drop of water. This will make it 0.5mcg per drop. I make a batch that's 30 drops of 1 mcg methylcobalamin and 30 drops water. That gives me enough for several days.

I was finally able to tolerate 0.5mcg and have been working my way up from there.

Of course, label the bottles so you know what's in them. Write down your formula and put it somewhere where you're going to remember it, so you can make up new batches as you need them. You can even write it on your label if there's room.

Just wondering if anyone here from Europe knows where I could get those sulfate strips somewhere here? I don't want to pay overpriced shipping from US plus import taxes :( I can't find them on German or British Amazon.

RosieBee

I was advised to try these suppliers for the UK -

camlab.co.uk
fisher.co.uk
eurolabssupplies.o.uk

roxie60

Caledonia, would you define excitoxity for me, is that a symptom like muscle / nerves vibrating over entire body except head (for lask of better words to describe right now)? TIA

I just followed the suggestions at the Heartfixer page (which is basically the Cliff Notes of Yasko's program). I hit it with everything suggested, that I could tolerate. http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

I can't afford Yasko's actual supps, so I checked out her supps and ordered exactly the same things in the same form, but in different brands from iHerb. It cut the cost in half.

I did order her CBS RNA, but it didn't muscle test well, so that I was able to return because you don't need to open the bottle to muscle test supplements.

As far as diet, I followed the free thiol diet and supplement list, instead of the low sulfur diet. http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/. It's not as strict as the low sulfur diet, and it's still effective.

I still need to eat meat for various reasons, so I didn't cut back on that.

I started each supplement one at time. I did notice a bit of an increase in energy with the l-carnitine fumarate, and the Yasko multi (due to the TMG in it), so those were pleasant surprises. Once I got about a month into it, I noticed increased rotten egg/sulfur smell in stools. It's pretty noticeable - lol. I believe this can be taken as evidence that you're actually detoxing the sulfur and ammonia (even if the numbers on the strip stay the same).