• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Neuroinflammatory Model of ME/CFS

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Hello all

Just to let you know that I have just put up a 'guest blog' on Cort Johnson's new site HealthRising.

This is part I of a four part series which puts forward a new hypothesis for ME/CFS based on a review of ME/CFS literature and literature from other 'neuroinflammatory' conditions.

The 'blog' will be presented in four parts over the coming weeks :

Part I – Sensory Gating

Part II - Glutamate - One More Piece in the Puzzle?

Part III - Glutamate/GABA Imbalance – Stiff Person Syndrome

Part IV - Symptoms, heterogeneity and onset

Please pop over and have a look.:)

Regards Marco

Enid

Great to see Marco - I'm following. So much in the way of pathologies already known - putting the whole puzzle together very absent.

anne_likes_red

Good work Marco.
Impressive.
:)

ETA: Is it just me, or does anyone else fit the "sensory gating gone awry" criteria?
I had infectious onset (in 1984), but I only have to look at my very first school report "Anne does better in a small group, and she's not so comfortable in the big room" to wonder about predisposing factors.
FWIW :D By the time my second school report was out, I'd moved from a big inner city school with open plan classrooms to a little country school and was much more comfortable.

maddietod

Good work Marco.
Impressive.
:)

ETA: Is it just me, or does anyone else fit the "sensory gating gone awry" criteria?
I had infectious onset (in 1984), but I only have to look at my very first school report "Anne does better in a small group, and she's not so comfortable in the big room" to wonder about predisposing factors.
FWIW :D By the time my second school report was out, I'd moved from a big inner city school with open plan classrooms to a little country school and was much more comfortable.

Anne, your early report also fits with being an introvert, and/or "highly sensitive." Maybe that's what you're saying......that some of us with these traits are predisposed to sensory gating problems.

Lynn

Nice article Marco. Thank you.

Until the illness, I was very much an extrovert. Yet I fit the description of sensory gating problems to a tee. I have problems with sound smell and am sensitive to touch. I often think that if I could control the sensory overload, I would feel a lot better.

Lynn

ramakentesh

i definately think it is a neuroinflammatory disease - however there is evidence that small fibre neuropathies are cytokine-driven as is potentially NET gene silencing - both of which have at least been identified in POTS and OI.

Enid

I'm no biologist but are not cytokines especially produced in the presence of some biological morbidity. Deep infection.

PhoenixBurger

Quercetin inhibits inflammatory cytokines.

But you don't want to be inhibiting cytokines if you're in the process of fighting an infection. You need them.

That's where this becomes annoying. One could take Quercetin and do some good if there is no pathogen causing this.

One could take Quercetin and do some bad if there is.