• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neurologist in London

Hi

I have a request: is anyone able to suggest a good private neurologist in London? Preferably ME friendly, but if not, at least approachable and not dismissive. It's for someone with ME but with other symptoms as well, so they would be seeing the neurologist for other symptoms, but it would be helpful to have someone who would not be dismissive because of the ME diagnosis.

Many thanks

ukxmrv

Dr Russell Lane (Charing X and private practise)
Dr Abhijit Chaudhuri (Queens,Romford? and private practise)

vli

marple,

I don't know whether Russell Lane has changed in the 10 years since I met him, but of the ten or so physicians I saw since falling sick in Dec 2000, he was THE absolute worst I can tell you. He basically diagnosed or failed to diagnose ME on the basis of whether you appeared depressed or not and he was most damaging to my case because I went in there with my parents (after waiting I think a year to see him on the NHS), and after having one of his students do most of the physical examination to rule out other neurological diseases and having me do a questionnaire that basically asked me "are you depressed?", he sat my parents down and said in a patronising tone of voice while I lay on the other side of the room separated by a curtain that "your daughter is very, very depressed and needs psychiatric help". I was so infuriated I got up and said to his face he was spewing rubbish and said "let's go". Unfortunately that meeting made a deep impression on my father (after all, he's this famous Charing Cross neurologist, right??) and I truly believe that meeting sowed the first seeds of my father's belief that my illness was psychiatric and yes, in that way, Russell Lane damaged the chances of a geniune ME patient from getting proper treatment more than he could realise or ever imagine. It may be no victory but to this day I am proud of having the brains at the age of 20 not to be scared by him and to walk out of the room right there and then because he did not deserve my attention or respect.

Having said all that, if you've already been diagnosed with ME elsewhere by someone Lane most probably won't argue against then of course it might be a different story, and I did see him ten years ago. But I felt it would be wrong if I did not tell you about my experience with him because in my opinion he is getting away with far too much (people thinking he's this great ME-friendly doc, giving opinions in the press to the impression that he was this great believer in ME when he completely dismissed MINE after only the most cursory of examinations, etc).

vli: Thanks for your message. I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience. I will send you a PM.

ukxmr: Many thanks for the suggestions. It's hard for my friend to get to Romford unfortunately.

If anyone has any other suggestions for a Neurologist in London (preferably central, maybe at the National Hospital for Neurology in Queen's Sqaure), would be grateful. It's for someone with an ME diagnosis but with other symptoms as well, so they would be seeing the neurologist for other symptoms, but it would be helpful to have someone who would not be dismissive because of the ME diagnosis.

Thanks.