• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DIY pulse oximeter?

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Has anybody bought a pulse ox to track themselves and found it useful? Is there any way to DIY without a machine, other than pinching your finger at the nail and observing the color changes? Thanks.

Valentijn

My fingers don't have circulatory problems. Do those things still work if you stick them on an ear or something?

caledonia

I borrowed one to see what was going on when I was sleeping. I wake up often with pounding heartbeats.

The pulse oximeter showed that my oxygen drops quite low a few times a night. The problem is intermittent. Some nights I have the problem, some nights I don't. I did a sleep study and it didn't catch any apnea.

I think I have the problem narrowed down to a sort of central sleep apnea which is influenced by nutrients, probably B12. I've noticed on the days I eat beef, I don't have the pounding heartbeats in my sleep. If I eat chicken or pork, I do.

So for now, until I can get my methylation supps worked out, I'm eating beef 3-4 times a day. I forgot about retesting with the meter to see if that shows better too.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
My fingers don't have circulatory problems. Do those things still work if you stick them on an ear or something?
Hi, that's good thinking. I see this:
CS_EarlobeComp_wHead.jpg

The Earlobe Sensor is intended for use on patients who have poor peripheral circulation or when it is not convenient to use a finger sensor. It is especially useful during treadmill tests or when patient motion is anticipated.
http://www.mediaidinc.com/SensorReusable.html

Even so, that doesn't answer your question. But this seems to (from ebay, of all places):
Peripheral vasoconstriction – Oximetry relies on detecting a stable pulse. In order for pulsatile flow to be detected, there must be sufficient perfusion (blood flow) in the monitored areas. If peripheral(surface) pulses are weak or absent, readings can be difficult to obtain. This can give false low measurements compared with central saturation, which perfuses the brain and other vital organs. Patients most at risk for low perfusion states are those with hypotension, hypovolemia (low blood volume), and hypothermia, and of course those in cardiac arrest. Patients who are cold but not hypothermic may have vasoconstriction (narrowing of blood vessels) in their fingers and toes that can also compromise arterial blood flow.
If vasoconstriction is a problem, try moving the sensor to the ear lobe or warming the extremity to enhance perfusion (blood flow).
http://reviews.ebay.com/Pulse-Oximeter-FACTS-Guide?ugid=10000000001217352