• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supportive Therapies while Detoxing/Chelating

Christopher

Recenly I've been using clay foot baths and FIR sauna to detox. It's done some good with brighter mood and clearer thinking, but I tend to feel wiped out afterwards. Low muscle strength, motivation, easy irritability. It feels like my adrenals are wiped from the detoxification?

So, besides taking it easy on these detox methods, what can we do to support our bodies so these symptoms are more manageable and we're not doing more harm than good to the body?

I've read about replacing minerals and electrolyes, and supporting the adrenals through ACE or licorice. Curious if anyone has experience with this sort of thing and can offer some advice that I can use.

Recenly I've been using clay foot baths and FIR sauna to detox. It's done some good with brighter mood and clearer thinking, but I tend to feel wiped out afterwards. Low muscle strength, motivation, easy irritability. It feels like my adrenals are wiped from the detoxification?

So, besides taking it easy on these detox methods, what can we do to support our bodies so these symptoms are more manageable and we're not doing more harm than good to the body?

I've read about replacing minerals and electrolyes, and supporting the adrenals through ACE or licorice. Curious if anyone has experience with this sort of thing and can offer some advice that I can use.

Hi Christopher,

When I began using epsom salt baths for detox I experienced that "hit by a truck" feeling after. I was seeing a naturopath at the time, and she felt this was mineral depletion from sweating and recommended that I take minerals before the soak in the hot bath. I did this (using a multi mineral and trace mineral drops) and felt so much better afterwards. I can now do infared saunas without a problem (have been doing them for years), and don't have to take minerals now just before (although they are still a part of my supplement regime with breakfast--after the daily sauna). The other thing that I did is back down on the time that I spent doing the detox. So shorter soaks, later when I started with the sauna, shorter saunas, until I was more tolerant of the effects. Good luck.

Christopher

Hi Christopher,

When I began using epsom salt baths for detox I experienced that "hit by a truck" feeling after. I was seeing a naturopath at the time, and she felt this was mineral depletion from sweating and recommended that I take minerals before the soak in the hot bath. I did this (using a multi mineral and trace mineral drops) and felt so much better afterwards. I can now do infared saunas without a problem (have been doing them for years), and don't have to take minerals now just before (although they are still a part of my supplement regime with breakfast--after the daily sauna). The other thing that I did is back down on the time that I spent doing the detox. So shorter soaks, later when I started with the sauna, shorter saunas, until I was more tolerant of the effects. Good luck.

Thanks. So you took both a multi min and trace min? Do they contain different minerals?

Thanks. So you took both a multi min and trace min? Do they contain different minerals?

Yes, I felt that due to my reaction from the soaks, that it would be best to cover all bases and take the mulit mineral (this has regular minerals like potassium, molybdenum, chromium, manganese, selenium, zinc, iodine, phosphorus, etc. although some of these are indeed trace minerals themselves) while the trace mineral drops are a wider range of what's in sea water (according to the label on the bottle). I suppose taking sea salt (the non refined type) may also work?

After watching the genetic roulette movie that was listed in another post, I wonder if the issue of gmo foods could be crontributing to our problem (gmo foods are less nutritious, with fewer vitamins/minerals in the food, and studies show that gmo food is creating disease in animals, and most likely humans). I was still eating non organic at the time that I originally started doing the detox soaks in 2002. Just something to think about, as this may be huge in me/cfs and our pathology. It's so frustrating that we have to "peel so many layers of the onion" to try to regain our health...