• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ARV's tested in Lupus

Bob

Interesting, thanks Daffodil.

They are looking at possible Human Endogenous Retrovirus involvment in autoimmune diseases.

They discuss the possibility of treating autoimmune diseases with reverse transcriptase inhibitors.

"...the disease in mice deficient for the enzyme Trex1 (which degrades endogenous retroelements) can be prevented by drugs that inhibit reverse transcriptase."

I think this is a field worth researching in relation to ME, especially because of the Rituximab findings, the XMRV research findings, and the relationship between B-cells, EBV and HERVs.

Daffodil

i think CFS might turn out to be MLV-gag + Herpes recombinant. that sounds right....these types of recombinant viruses would explain a million diseases.....I know a woman who has lupus and i remember she had adult mono. ...and EBV - MS connection is well known. I HOPE THEY ARE LOOKING AT THIS POSSIBILITY

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
daff, have u thought of staying on a low dose valtrex while u experiment with other treatments like the MAF etc.
i think the herpes viruses definately play apart, maybe they easily reactivate when we are immune supressed??

cheers!!!

Autoimmune disease: A role for new anti-viral therapies?

Dreyfus DH.
Source

Pediatrics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, United States. dhdreyfus@pol.net
Abstract

Many chronic human diseases may have an underlying autoimmune mechanism. In this review, the author presents a case of autoimmune CIU (chronic idiopathic urticaria) in stable remission after therapy with a retroviral integrase inhibitor, raltegravir (Isentress). Previous reports located using the search terms "autoimmunity" and "anti-viral" and related topics in the pubmed data-base are reviewed suggesting that novel anti-viral agents such as retroviral integrase inhibitors, gene silencing therapies and eventually vaccines may provide new options for anti-viral therapy of autoimmune diseases. Cited epidemiologic and experimental evidence suggests that increased replication of epigenomic viral pathogens such as Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) in chronic human autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA), systemic lupus Erythematosus (SLE), and multiple sclerosis (MS) may activate endogenous human retroviruses (HERV) as a pathologic mechanism. Memory B cells are the reservoir of infection of EBV and also express endogenous retroviruses, thus depletion of memory b-lymphocytes by monoclonal antibodies (Rituximab) may have therapeutic anti-viral effects in addition to effects on B-lymphocyte presentation of both EBV and HERV superantigens. Other novel anti-viral therapies of chronic autoimmune diseases, such as retroviral integrase inhibitors, could be effective, although not without risk.

Daffodil

the dreyfuss paper is very important. thank you.

heap..i wanted to add valtrex in but i threw out all my old piles and now the docs dont want to give it to me cuz my antbodies are so low.

i'm getting worried about this tenofovir situation. i have been on it so long, the HERV, if that's what i have, is going to become completely resistant to it.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
the dreyfuss paper is very important. thank you.

heap..i wanted to add valtrex in but i threw out all my old piles and now the docs dont want to give it to me cuz my antbodies are so low.

i'm getting worried about this tenofovir situation. i have been on it so long, the HERV, if that's what i have, is going to become completely resistant to it.

Always buy valtrex online or better yet famvir from magicpharma.com
In the cfs book 'reviving the broken marrionette' the author says that famvir has some anti retroviral properties, this was written before all the xmrv stuff came out, might be worth a shot??

Daffodil

hi heap. thanks! yes i will certainly think about it...i think its antiretroviral properties have to do with the fact that herpes helps HIV reproduce somehow and also they infect similar cells. if i dont respond again to tenofovir and gcmaf, i guess i will try famvir maybe...havent tried it yet.

i keep thinking about this HERV theory of CFS, which a few researchers are seriously looking at. it just does not ring true somehow....something seems illogical to me.

assuming there are areas where there is some sort of chemical exposure that predisposes someone to having active HERV, and they get a triggering virus like EBV which makes things go haywire...i suppose this could result in what appears to be cluster outbreaks of CFS...but doesnt this seem kind of far fetched?

and those who pass it on to their spouse during acute EBV...odds are the spouse would have been exposed to EBV in the past..so are they passing on just HERV? can you do that? would the HERV wake up the spouses HERV and make him get sick??

i dont think there are any diseases with confirmed links to HERV yet....is CFS going to be the first?

i am very worried about this theory.