• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The value of the Mitochondrial function profile

I"m wondering if those of you who have taken the Mitochondrial function profile test feel that this test has helped you in treating your fatigue. I'm thinking of getting it, but I want to make sure that its findings would really guide my treatment. I'm been taking CoQ10, carnitine, magnesium, B12, etc. for a month now and don't notice a difference.

Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

Joe in Seattle

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Joe, i think it really depends on where you are with your illness and how much you already know about treating CFS/M.E. If you are very well educated then it may not be helpful - it could show up things you didnt know you had such as specific deficiences or blockages. Some people are shown to not produce enough ATP(energy) others do produce it but have significant blockages in its transportation.

Either way the advcie is similar - diet, supplements, sleep, detoxing using herbs and FAR saunas are the cornerstones of the advice you would recieve with the report (i'm presuming you are talking about the Acumen test available through Dr Myhill)

Dr Myhill has a free E book you can download from her website, which basically lays out her strategies and opinions on the causes of the disease process
http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/CFS_-_CFS_Book_published_by_Dr_Sarah_Myhill

She also has a more recent interview here http://www.paradigmshift.tv/pstv/view/episode/84# where she explains her approach - its well worth a watch if you want to gather info.

I had the test done - at the time i had been sick for many years with no diagnosis, and no help from the medical profession. The test helped me enormously to see the physical abnormalities that were going on in my body. It gave me a diagnosis - allowed my family and GP to see that i really am ill. It also gives you a score so you can tell how much you should be resting and how much you are pushing - this was invaluable for me as i thought i could do way more than i really could. It also showed how much damage was going on in my body (cell free DNA) which reminds me not to keep pushing as well as showing how dysfunctional my antioxidant system is - and so i know how important my supplements are even if they are not reversing the damage - they are stopping it from getting worse.

I have seen some improvement with the suggestions that cam with my report - but it hasnt been dramatic. One month is npot long enough to see if the supplements are helping - it takes at least three to replete if your body is low on them. How are you taking the B12? normal supplements in tablet or spray form did nothing for me and the real improvements came from injecting Metyl B12 daily.

So i suppose what i am saying is that you may find the test very useful - on the other hand we nearly all come out with the same issues so you could save the money - read the book and website, watch the interview and make your own programme - it is all available for free to read and nearly everyone gets roughly the same advice.

My report was helpful when it came to claiming disability benefits - i could show real biomedical problems going on.
I am happy to answer more questions on this thread or by PM if you like.

All the best, Justy.

Thanks, Justy. Your experience is very helpful. I have pretty bad fatigue, but no other symptoms now. The only thing that sounds like it might be useful for me would be to find out whether I have my transfer protein receptors blocked. I do have pretty bad heavy metals showing up in an EDTA-provoked urine test. As far as I know, heavy metals could be blocking the transfer proteins. I'd appreciate any info on this that anyone can add.

I'm taking the usual supplements as recommended by Dr. Myhill. I haven't seen much of a change in the last month. I'm still getting the hang of pacing though.

I will be looking for your posts, Justy, to see how you progress.

Thanks so much.

Joe

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Joe, are you thinking of doing the translocator protein studies? i did this one last year to find out what was causing my blockages and it was very inconclusive with no useful advice . For me it was a waste of money. I know others here have told me the same.

If you have proof of heavy metals then i would just go ahead with chelation therapy of some sort (sorry im not up on that) otherwise my suggestion would be to do FAR saunas and any other detoxing methods you are keen on as that is what you will be advised to do with the test results. I havent tried FAR saunas yet, but as my blockages are quite extensive then i suspect it might help me a bit.

All the best, Justy