• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

when will i get over the effects of a trip

hurtingallthetimet

ive posted on another threads..went on long trip...i thought id be over the worse of the effects from taking a trip..but i seem to be getting worse..more and more tired...ive been in bed daily off and on..

usually always laying down on couch or bed anyways and do whatever needs done in between...but this exhaustion and pain is worse than the usuall for me im soooooo drained..and the pain is alot worse..taking my medications and morphine helps sometiems..

how long does it take to get over going on a trip? i know everyone is different but im hoping someone has has some encouragement from taking a long trip and that they felt better quickly..

just doint understand why i keep getting worse instead of better...

taniaaust1

ive posted on another threads..went on long trip...i thought id be over the worse of the effects from taking a trip..but i seem to be getting worse..more and more tired...ive been in bed daily off and on..

usually always laying down on couch or bed anyways and do whatever needs done in between...but this exhaustion and pain is worse than the usuall for me im soooooo drained..and the pain is alot worse..taking my medications and morphine helps sometiems..

how long does it take to get over going on a trip? i know everyone is different but im hoping someone has has some encouragement from taking a long trip and that they felt better quickly..

That is why one needs to be sooo careful with pacing etc and not to over do stuff. Over doing things can make things PERMANENTLY worst and one may not improve at all from the worsened state. It can cause a complete shift from the original base line of activity one previously had (which can mean that it isnt possible to do again what you were before).

Hopefully that isnt going to be the case for you as it isnt long ago you got back. .. A couple of weeks recovery would be a quite normal crash for many of us. If I crash very bad.. it usually takes me 2-4 years to recover back to my base line.

As your base line is currently lower right now then it was originally.. you shouldnt be expecting to be doing the same activity level to what you were before you went away..otherwise you could crash further and further which will just make it harder to recover from.

You may want to consider doing some aggressive rest therapy for a week or two (spending it in bed enforcing yourself to rest)... to stop the down turn in your condition and hopefully get it back to where it was before. (but there is points which may be reached in which one just cant seem to improve from).

"Post excertional" symptoms are completely normal.. This is all what helps to distinguis ME from things like just having FM. (if you were just a FM patient you could just dose yourself up on strong pain killers and do what you like.. if you have ME thou, that can be very dangerous to the condition.. as pain can be a warning sign of doing too much so can be something not best to go and really drug block out esp if one has no idea of ones limits).

Im not against ME patients using pain killers at all..but the pacing needs to be the MOST IMPORTANT thing.. and once one knows how much one can do without making one worst.. then pain killers are helpful (not so a ME patient can go and do more..but rather just to manage what symptoms are still there when the right pacing for the person is being done).

Enid

I'd recommend "aggressive rest" too (body and mind) - just bathroom and preprepared foods for as long as it takes if you can. And recognise one's energies "envelope" when more recovered.

hurtingallthetimet

That is why one needs to be sooo careful with pacing etc and not to over do stuff. Over doing things can make things PERMANENTLY worst and one may not improve at all from the worsened state. It can cause a complete shift from the original base line of activity one previously had (which can mean that it isnt possible to do again what you were before).

Hopefully that isnt going to be the case for you as it isnt long ago you got back. .. A couple of weeks recovery would be a quite normal crash for many of us. If I crash very bad.. it usually takes me 2-4 years to recover back to my base line.

As your base line is currently lower right now then it was originally.. you shouldnt be expecting to be doing the same activity level to what you were before you went away..otherwise you could crash further and further which will just make it harder to recover from.

You may want to consider doing some aggressive rest therapy for a week or two (spending it in bed enforcing yourself to rest)... to stop the down turn in your condition and hopefully get it back to where it was before. (but there is points which may be reached in which one just cant seem to improve from).

"Post excertional" symptoms are completely normal.. This is all what helps to distinguis ME from things like just having FM. (if you were just a FM patient you could just dose yourself up on strong pain killers and do what you like.. if you have ME thou, that can be very dangerous to the condition.. as pain can be a warning sign of doing too much so can be something not best to go and really drug block out esp if one has no idea of ones limits).

Im not against ME patients using pain killers at all..but the pacing needs to be the MOST IMPORTANT thing.. and once one knows how much one can do without making one worst.. then pain killers are helpful (not so a ME patient can go and do more..but rather just to manage what symptoms are still there when the right pacing for the person is being done).

thanks everyone for the advice..i did use the tips posted in another thread about taking the trip and rest up and pace myself...the trip was very long though that couldnt be helped...

taniaaust1 i have fibro/cfs among alot of other things....i was confuesed about the ME the doctor uses the words fibro/cfs but has written ME on checkout slip....i will just keep staying in and out of bed...i needed to go garage sale shopping for kids some pants but didnt feel like it...so i will do that later...

thanks again

taniaaust1

Yeah.. it would be truely best if you left the garage sale shopping for the kids till you are properly over your holiday.

If the fibro makes you stiff etc if you are still for too long.. try doing some exercises in bed. Find a balance to whatever you need to do to help your symptoms and what ever is being dominant ones at the time.

hurtingallthetimet

Yeah.. it would be truely best if you left the garage sale shopping for the kids till you are properly over your holiday.

If the fibro makes you stiff etc if you are still for too long.. try doing some exercises in bed. Find a balance to whatever you need to do to help your symptoms and what ever is being dominant ones at the time.

thanks again, ive had migrane and bones hurting all day think it could be from the extreme weather....

the firbo makes me very stiff and hard to exercise and the cfs makes it even harder...