• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vasopressin - Bingo

ramakentesh

Also DDVAP can greatly increase the propensity of a person to form blood clots, making it quite dangerous.

sensing progress

I have been trying to find a doctor who will prescribe Desmopressin for a while now. A few years ago I benefited greatly from taking salt tablets, which I believe helped me to retain water and thus boost my blood volume back to normal. However, the effect wore off after about a month. I have always wondered if Desmopressin would sustain that same effect, but no luck in getting it so far.

CBS

Also DDVAP can greatly increase the propensity of a person to form blood clots, making it quite dangerous.

Unless of course your body is not producing a sufficient/normal level of vasopressin in which case without DDAVP you're at a greater risk of inadequate clotting and bleeding out. Also keep in mind that the viscosity of the blood in hypovolemic patients (who may be losing too much fluid and be in need of DDAVP) is increased leading to an elevated risk of cardiovascular problems. It just might be a bit dangerous to throw around phrases like "making it quite dangerous" when the potential for danger is relative and based largely on circumstance.

Can DDAVP be dangerous? Yes, in the wrong patient and/or at the wrong dose.

Can it save your life? Absolutely - if you need it.

I do not recommend even considering it without the guidance of an endocrinologist WITH experience in treating DI. I can almost guarantee that even your above average PCP does not know enough about this drug to prescribe it safely (and clotting isn't the first thing on the list of factors to be concerned about).

Droxidopa ia currently in clinical trials for this and other disorders. http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=droxidopa
Hopefully it'll be available in the near future. I take midodrine sometime, which helps. I've had POTS as far back as 6th grade. I would always take baths because I didn't want to stand in the shower. I also hated going to museums because my parents would stand in front of each display and read about the display, for what seemed like hours. My body would start to hurt and I felt like passing out. I never knew why I felt so poorly when I stood in one place, or bending down and standing up a few times in a row could send me to bed for several hours. It was horrible and I never knew why I felt so bad.

I'm hoping that droxidopa will be approved in the near future. It's approved in Japan.