• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bronchodilators and Alt Treatment Log

xks201

I wasn't sure where to put this thread but my goal is to make it a treatment log. I will be trying multiple therapies in the next two weeks to see what helps.

Current symptoms:
1) Breathlessness - Shallow Breathing
2) Chronic Fatigue
3) Occasional "Burning Stool"
4) Some Dizziness
5) Transient Stomachaches
6) Returning Gallstones
7) chemical sensitivites/itchy skin/acne

I had gallstones before but did a flush and got them out (around 50, some as big as my thumb). Since then I have had no pain in my gallbladder but they are coming back. I restarted the methylation protocol with niacin and iron and glutamine to dissolve the stones. Have noticed increase liver circulation. Also am taking a regular b complex. I notice a transient improvement in energy and temper on the methylation protocol though. Not sure if it is going to last.

I will be taking a bronchodilator. I had childhood asthma and have one prescribed to me. I will see if this helps with my constant feeling of hypoxia and infrequent/shallow breathing.

My stool culture revealed no abnormal infections, yet sometimes it still does burn. For acne actually I am prescribed antibiotics which I never took indefinitely. I will start taking these if nothing else works in 1-2 weeks.

I am on full hormone therapy except GH and vasopressin. I do not need vasopressin. I may need GH as determined by an insulin tolerance test to be happening in approximately 2 weeks.

Also I will be switching from T4 to T3 therapy (body may not be converting to t3 adequately or there may be t3 resistance. Endo is going to run more tests for this upon next visit soon.

The CFS has been going on for 3 years. I will let you guys know how these therapies work. The only lab abnormalities besides the hormonal ones that are being treated was insulin resistance (but glucose remained in range). We will see. Beyond this point I am thinking chronic dysbiosis that needs long term antibiotic treatment or MODY diabetes (some people in family had indeterminable type diabetes). I have heard of a doctor using harsh androgens for CFS, though I am not sure if this is necessary. Will keep you all posted.

Another therapy I want to resume is simply a digestive enzyme. I will be using one called proton plus which contained Histidine-HCL, betaine HCL, and other amino acids. It seems like when I was on those I was not as fatigued possibly. Though I overdid them and they actually started tearing up my stomach. I recovered but I think I am going to stay away from the high dose protease ones that have the potential to do that or high dose any of them. After reading of another member here who took proton pump inhibitors and developed CFS, I am very convinced that a lot of this is simply from low HCL...inducing a metabolic alkalosis that relies heavily on nasty bacteria to completely digest the food.

I have read of a doctor who is using anti parasite drugs on CFS patients and curing a lot of them. He seems most promising and seems to think that CFS is all gut related. I cannot help but think that our overactive immune systems are stimulated by undigested food which increases the fermenting bacteria load.

I did purchase l reuteri in the primadophalus brand and that did seem to help some. Maybe I will repurchase it. If I do not write all this down, I will forget it. ha

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8598553
(Study showing hypoxia inhibits gastric secretion in conscious rats)

nanonug

Current symptoms:
1) Breathlessness - Shallow Breathing
2) Chronic Fatigue
3) Occasional "Burning Stool"
4) Some Dizziness
5) Transient Stomachaches
6) Returning Gallstones
7) chemical sensitivites/itchy skin/acne

All the symptoms you describe are consistent with some kind of stomach infection or bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. Have you ever been tested for helicobacter pylori, parasites such as giardia or SIBO?

xks201

Had a school culture that revealed nothing. I don't know how sensitive it was.

nanonug

Had a school culture that revealed nothing.

Stool culture for what, do you know? In any case, stool culture is not the right way to test for helicobacter pylori, for instance. Stool culture also won't work for detection of bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine.

nanonug

What will work to test for SIBO?

The "gold standard" is jejunal aspiration although that doesn't detect buggers further down the "pipes". There is also the lactulose breath test which is somewhat unreliable, particularly the kind that only looks for hydrogen; the better kind also looks for methane. At the end of the day, taking antibiotics such as Xifaxan might be the best way to test and treat. I basically convinced my doctor to prescribe me this based solely on SIBO symptoms.

nanonug

I dont recall reading about dizziness and breathlessness as indicative symptoms of stomach infection.

These two symptoms are not indicative of stomach infection, they are consistent with stomach infection. For additional symptoms of histamine overload, including death, see "Histamine and histamine intolerance".

Histamine causes bronchoconstriction (shortness of breath) and vasodilation (dizziness, pre-syncope, even syncope).

Enterochromaffin-like cells in the stomach have this incredible ability to pump out tons of histamine into the system in cases of hypo/achlorhydria. For example, helicobacter pylori's ability to suppress hydrochloric acid would lead to such a situation.

Giardia infection is also known to cause bronchospasm and other histamine-mediated symptoms such as urticaria.

Given that roughly 80% of one's immune system resides in the gastrointestinal tract and that mast cell activation leads to the release of histamine, it is not surprising to expect histamine-mediated symptoms in case of GI infection.

The association between CFS and gut issues is very well-known and many doctors, such as De Meirleir, focus their attention there. Even Google knows about this association. One of the first results that shows up is an article entitled "Gut inflammation in chronic fatigue syndrome".

xks201

Well I can't argue about the gut issues. My knees ache too, probably from the inflammatory cascade coming from my gut. I guess I'm jumping on antibiotics.