• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nightly fever, nasal congestion, and flushing

Ocean

Lately in the evening I'll feel very suddenly my nose become totally stuffy in just a matter of seconds, while at the same time my face turns red and burning hot, then I take my temperature and it will be high. Often there is a headache too. I tend toward all these symptoms as part of my CFS symptoms anyway, but I've just found in weird how my nose gets totally clogged and face turns hot and fever comes on all at the same time almost instantaneously.

Anyone know what the connection is between fever and stuffy nose or what might be happening internally to cause this? My normal fever is in the upper 99s, it's never normal 98.6 anymore, and when this happens it's always over 100, sometimes 101.

I'm so tired of fevers and not being able to breathe through my nose. The burning hot face isn't fun either.

nanonug

Anyone know what the connection is between fever and stuffy nose or what might be happening internally to cause this? My normal fever is in the upper 99s, it's never normal 98.6 anymore, and when this happens it's always over 100, sometimes 101.

As Marco says above, it may be related to some kind of histamine overload problem, either mastocytosis or maybe inability to properly degrade endogenous or exogenous histamine. Is there anything you do or eat in the evening that you don't do the rest of the day?

hurtingallthetimet

hello ocean hope your feeling better...maybe it is allergys? hope you get lots of answers and help with your post...and again hope you feel much better

taniaaust1

I havent had trouble with facial flushes but do get more fevers at night and went throu a period where I had a lot of nasal stuffiness at night (I think I have a slight reaction at times to dust mite and put my nasal symptom down to reacting to those).

I found that high dose vitamin C eg 2-3g with bioflavonoids (which aid its absorption) helped with the nasal stuffiness.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I was going to mention Mast Cell activation also. I am talking to my doctor about this Monday. I understand about burning UP. It is really awful at night. Burn up, get cold, back and forth. I know you can take H1 and H2 blockers like Claritin etc. I have HistaEze. I will ask if that is good for this. I have the bottle but have not used it. Natural supplement.

A lot of people with POTS have this problem.

Ocean

Thanks everyone.

So the mast cell or histamine issues can cause fever too?

I do take allegra each night. With the nasal stuffiness I always get it while laying down too. It often wakes me up because I get so stuffy I can't breathe through my nose and that wakes me. But sitting up I usually don't have it, except when I get these episodes at night. I don't have sinusitis, my sinuses have been checked out. I can't think of anything I do at night that is different, other than maybe the day's exertions have taken their toll by that time? Maybe it has something to do with dinner but would that cause a fever too? I do have a fever all the time these days but it's usually 99 something in the day, then goes up to 100-101 during these episodes.

Sally, I'll look into that HistaEze. I don't do well with traditional antihistamines like Benadryl but do fine with Allegra.

nanonug

So the mast cell or histamine issues can cause fever too?

To my knowledge, histamine per se won't cause fever. However, if histamine was released by mast cells, that means that many other substances were also released, resulting in activation of the immune system. In this case, Interleukin-1 (IL-1) will lead to fever.

Maybe it has something to do with dinner

Is there any chance you are eating something at dinner you don't eat at any other meal?

Ocean

To my knowledge, histamine per se won't cause fever. However, if histamine was released by mast cells, that means that many other substances were also released, resulting in activation of the immune system. In this case, Interleukin-1 (IL-1) will lead to fever.

Is there any chance you are eating something at dinner you don't eat at any other meal?

It's hard to say because I often don't eat until dinner. I have been mostly nocturnal these days anyway. If I had to guess I'd say the fever feels more related to exertion than food or allergy. I do get the same symptoms, flushing, stuffy nose, increased fever as part of PEM too.

Ocean

Hmm, how about eating something earlier in the day (similar to what you eat at dinner) and see what happens?

The thing is I eat a variety of things for dinner. If food is causing it, it could be any number of things so it would be hard to know which ones to try in the earlier part of the day. Maybe I'll write down what I ate on the nights it happens and see if I notice a pattern. Thanks for pointing out that it could be food related. I really hadn't thought of that.

ETA: Tonight it happened at about 1:30 am and I had dinner at about 7:30 pm. Normally since being sick my temp has gone up in the evenings, just not this high in the past. It's now consistently been around 100.2 each night but feels much hotter, my face is burning up. I'd really like to see if antivirals or an immune modulator could help with the fever but so far haven't found a doctor locally who may prescribe them. Hopefully in the new few months maybe I can at least look into it, have tests done etc. I don't think it's food related just based on that my temp. has always gotten higher as the day went on since I've been sick, but I'm going to notice what I eat before hand just in case.