• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Slowed intestinal transit - What do do?

Athene

ihateticks.me
Average transit time through the colon is generally thought of as 30-40 hours which is in line with your first posting. That's why I thought you were more referring to constipation issues - by only moving your bowels every 1.5-2 days or so which would definitely be a problem!

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003887.htm

You've just made me realise I was having a brainfog moment in that first posting!
It is taking me three days. That's not 36 hours is it?? Actually 72!!

xchocoholic

hi athene, lol .. I can totally relate to the brain fog. I was getting ready to google normal digestive transit time.

Fwiw, when I got h pylori and parasites back in sept 2011, my digestion came to a halt. I had to use warm magnesium citrate (natural calm) with every meal. And back off meats. That's better now post treatment but meats are still a problem.

I "think" I caught these from a new freind but also the probiotics I've been using for years were dead.

I would never in a million years thought to look for these. Luckily my doctor did. She ordered the metamatrix tests which look for parasite dna. Tc .. X

Athene

ihateticks.me
Do you know specifically what the parasites were?

I've had threadworms and giardiasis in the past, but both have been treated and I don't have them now. I have wondered about parasites a lot, largely since i have so many food allergies. I had variuos tests, but basically I don't know what to look for! And of course, the doctor certainly doesn't....

xchocoholic

My labs say that I had endolimax nana and a non human parasite. I cleaned a litter box for a freind and may have gotten it there .. Or .. I could've gotten it from some cod that I ate that had worms. They were dead by the time I saw them ..

I think my doc said that all other parasite tests aren't as sensitive as the metametrix since it looks for dna. So my other previous stool tests could've missed it.

My doc treated my h pylori and parasites with clarithromycin, mebendozole, and metronidazole. I still have to re-test but I'm feeling better.

I want to look closer at these too. I still have food intolerances but i'm a celiac so my poor digestive tract keeps being abused by gluten cc.

Tc .. X

hurtingallthetimet

hello as someone else said magnesuim works great...ive taken the liquid form and threw up though i have a sensitive stomach..

i have ibs and stay consitpated alot doctor says from ibs and pain medications the doctor told me to take stool sofenters everday..it helps sometimes and sometimes not

hope you find something that works for you

ukxmrv

For me it's 72 hours as well and more when it gets bad. What happens is a lack of bowel movements but no hard bowel motions.