• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Candida Treatment

Ronan

I was thinking about trying to sort out my long standing Candida problem again but was wondering if their is even a point when sick with ME? I have tried to treat it in the past with diet and Nystatin with very limited success and within a couple of weeks its back to square one anyway. This time i was thinking about going down the Acupuncture and Herbs route but am worried that its just a waste of time and effort when sick from ME because i think its probably a losing battle. Does anyone on here have experience with treating it with Acupuncture and Herbs and what kind of results did you achieve?

Thanks!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I was thinking about trying to sort out my long standing Candida problem again but was wondering if their is even a point when sick with ME? I have tried to treat it in the past with diet and Nystatin with very limited success and within a couple of weeks its back to square one anyway. This time i was thinking about going down the Acupuncture and Herbs route but am worried that its just a waste of time and effort when sick from ME because i think its probably a losing battle. Does anyone on here have experience with treating it with Acupuncture and Herbs and what kind of results did you achieve?

Thanks!

Hi Ronan,

I think it is worth treating even while we have ME as getting rid of the candida often helps with other symptoms. When it is really established the only way that worked for me was Diflucan given for a month or two. It is usually much more effective than nystatin and diet. If you take it over a month, they usually test your liver enzymes, but I never had a problem with it.

Afterwards I take something over the counter like Caprylic acid acid for maintenance--and of course diet!

Best,
Sushi

Ema

It's my opinion that one of the best ways to treat candida (especially a systemic infection) is by resolving any untreated, possibly subclinical hypothyroidism. Candida thrives in low body temperatures common with hypothyroidism.

If you have not had your thyroid evaluated recently, (not just TSH but FT4, FT3 and RT3), I would consider ordering those tests. My doctor feels that FT4 should be around 1.4 and FT3 should be in the top part of the range. She does not place much weight on the TSH as a predictor of thyroid status at all. For example, my TSH was low due to anemia but I was hypothyroid with no signs of being hyperthyroid at all.

You can also take your temperature several times a day as well as a basal temp to see if they are consistently low as that can also be suggestive of hypothyroid.

I also think a low sugar diet is crucial to resolving candida. I wouldn't even begin to treat it by any means without first addressing diet and possible sources of food for the candida.

ukxmrv

I've had no big health benefits from anti-candida treatment. Things like nystatin, diet, otc remedies like supplements, etc do help with localised problems but have no overall effect on my ME symptoms. In the early days I spent years on this. I've had accupuncture and tried chinese herbs but not specificially for candida. Other people do report that tackling candida is useful for them overall though.

Ivana

Hi Ronan

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time. I was (and somewhat still am) in a similar boat.. had a severe infection for years. What I found to help the most was a very, very strict anti-candida diet along with fluconazole daily for months. Also, taking probiotics (Mutaflor) with Paramicrocidin (grapefruit seed extract) will help enormously as a maintenance stage after you've been on the anti-fungals for a while. Sometimes, if you've taken the antifungals before, the candida may become azole-resistant, so it will be resistant to all the fluconazole, ketaconazoles etc. This happened to me and it escalated to candida glabrata at one point. The best thing to do is to go on the anti-candida diet whilst taking the meds- one method wont work without the other. Try to avoid anythingggggggg with any bit of sugar for 6 months (including things like potato, which convert starch to sugar in the body and feed the pests). Docs might tell you that sugar is broken up in the small bowel and wont reach the large intestine anyway, but recent research has shown in those of us with chronic illnesses that the sugar indeed does pass down into the large bowel and feel candida and other parasites there.

Best wishes