• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wind turbines making people sick...

richvank

Link to ABC TV Program re wind turbines in Australia:

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2011/07/25/3274758.htm

:headache::headache::headache::

Hi, merylg.

I've heard some suggestions that the problems are caused not by the noise, but by electromagnetic radiation from the power processing circuitry that is used to match the output of the wind turbines to the electrical power grid. I don't know if this is true or not.

Rich

rwac

Here's a video showing the flicker due to wind turbines.

[video=youtube;MbIe0iUtelQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbIe0iUtelQ[/video]

jace

Off the fence
NIMBY vision. Hey, it's the negative of the flashing neon outside the window in a city apartment. Maybe they should increase the distance from dwellings, but really, it isn't life threatening. You could always draw the shades. It's not all day, anyway. I rather like the effect (and I want a wind turbine, if I ever have anywhere to put one).

merylg

Hi Rich,

Yes, I had always thought the main health issue was from electromagnetic radiation. Guess there are multiple issues... also including the noise, strobing light & shadow, visual pollution, danger from fires spreading to the bush, hazard of disintegration with massive chunks of metal flying everywhere...

We need to take an interest because our govt (Australian) plans to put these everywhere!!!

jace

Off the fence
I'd rather have a turbine near my house than live within 100 miles of Fukushima (or Chenobyl, for that matter). On the other hand, we could just give up using any electricity....