• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prenatal vitamins reduce the risk of autism. MTHFR and COMT SNPs are risk factors

richvank

Hi, all.

As some of you may know, autism and ME/CFS are pretty much the same at the biochemical level. In my view, the differences in symptoms and epidemiology are results of the different ages at onset, relative to brain development and puberty.

Here's some interesting new research from the U.C.-Davis M.I.N.D. Institute, suggesting that nutrition and genetics play roles in autism. I think the same is true of ME/CFS.

Best regards,

Rich

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-autism-vitamins-05252011,0,5740890.story?track=rss

determined

Wow, this is really interesting. Can you elaborate on the COMT mutation and how that relates to autism/CFS in terms of the symptoms that it can cause?

richvank

Wow, this is really interesting. Can you elaborate on the COMT mutation and how that relates to autism/CFS in terms of the symptoms that it can cause?

Hi, determined. COMT stands for catechol-O-methyltransferase. This enzyme transfers a methyl group from SAMe to dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine in the pathways for breaking them down. The polymorphism slows down the reactions catalyzed by COMT, and this affects the levels of these substances (two neurotransmitters and a hormone). This can affect cognition and mood. It also affects the demand for methyl groups, which in turn can affect other parts of the biochemistry.

Best regards,
Rich