• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

are the lacto bacteria really bad for d-lactic acidosis?

lizw118

Hey everyone
I have dysbiosis, high d-lactate and high candida in my small intestine. I am trying to get a propbiotic I can take that does not cost tons of money. I have tried the d-lactate free probiotics, but I would like to try some other things too, and most of them contain acidophilus. I have recently listened to a lecture podcast on sibo and autism (which I feel is very similar to cfs) and the doctor was saying that the strep. and like gut bacteria are the ones that create d-lactic acid, whereas the lacto bacteria create l-lactic acid, which is okay. So can I take a probiotic with some acidophilus in it? This is all really confusing.
Liz

lizw118

Hello again
Well after further research it seems like it would indeed be a bad idea to take any acidophilus. I don't understand why all of the probiotics at my health food store have acidophilus except for the bifidus ones. Ugh.

Shellbell

Hi Liz,
I would love to hear that podcast on sibo and autism. Would you mind directing me to that? I am in the same boat as you and have an overgrowth of staph aureus and strep in my gut.
Thank you,
Shelly

Shellbell

Hi Liz,
Thank you for the links. It's greatly appeciated. I will take a look at these tonight.
Hugs,
Shelly

Hi:

I don't mean to thread hijack, but could someone point me to a reference or explain which probiotics are contraindicated
(not recommended) when you have certain conditions. I'm a bit confused by the whole lactose/lactate thing.

I've only been told by healthcare people to try to take probiotics which push Th1 branch of immunity, but nothing else.
Can someone straighten me out?

Thanks

Waverunner

Hi:

I don't mean to thread hijack, but could someone point me to a reference or explain which probiotics are contraindicated
(not recommended) when you have certain conditions.

Thanks

As far as I'm concerned these studies don't exist. There are a few studies about probiotics and allergies or immune system but they are far from valuable. I think it's better to listen to your body and how you tolerate certain probiotics.

The problem:

- We have about 400 strains of bacteria in a normal gut
- We don't know where exactly they have to be located in the gut
- We don't know much about the highly complex interplay between these bacteria
- We have no method of delivering the right bacteria to the right place in the gut
- We don't know what the "right" bacteria are for each person since we don't know what they do and what role they have in each individuals gut (what may be beneficial for one person can be detrimental for the other)

topaz

Liz

I am a newbie to this thread and have been researching gut flora and probiotics these last few days.

While I cannot answer your question directly, I have read that you can make your own single-strain probioitics by first obtaining the appropriate cultures and using them to culture yoghurt. I have not gone down this path myself yet as I am still awaiting test results and I dont know how the cultures would react to heating etc. I may google this further.

Apparantly Kefir does not produce D-Lactate and this can easily be made yourself. I have provided a few links that I bookmarked to research later although I cannot give you any personal experience. Apologies also if this information is already familiar to you.

http://www.wellsphere.com/chronic-f...2s-and-d-lactate-we-forget-too-easily/1032166
http://www.mecfsassist.org/1/post/2...t-d-lactate-probioticsfiber-use-in-mecfs.html

this is another site that I bookmarked as a good explanation of the differences between SIBO, candida and dysbiosis
http://www.ei-resource.org/illness-information/environmental-illnesses/candida-and-gut-dysbiosi

Another good article on this site which you are likely to have already seen is http://phoenixrising.me/?p=633

There are non dairy forms of probiotics found in fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kombucha tea etc. There is a book called Wild Fermentation which is highly regarded and also Nourishing Traditions provides some fermentation recipes. I know sauerkraut is made by formation of lactic acid but I dont know if its the d or l form.

I think this is an area of trial and error as one of the links above says, we dont know where specific bacteria reside in the gut and which forms of probiotics will get there.

I apologise for any absence of coherence in this post but its 1am and I am beyond tired!

I look forward to learning more.