• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Positional Sleep Apnea

floydguy

One of my unresolved issues is sleep apnea. Though it's classified as moderate to severe my oxygen level stays relatively high so that it doesn't affect my heart. I just don't sleep deeply. It seems pretty clear from various sleep studies that much of it is positional - that is I sleep much better on my side. I've tried CPAP and really struggled with it and I am not sure that it helped anyway. I recently tried a make shift dental appliance and it didn't appear to work. So now I am looking at pillows or other devices that help you sleep on your side. Has anybody else been through this? Can you recommend anything?

As I understand it, most of us don't sleep deeply ... :( But sleep apnea is another matter, isn't it?) I went through the same thing with the CPAP. I felt like I was suffocating and had even more trouble sleeping!

I recently saw a pillow for side-sleepers, sort of a thick, squared-off foam thing, kind of block-like, but looked like it would be good for side-sleeping. Can't remember the catalogue I saw it in ... Might have been Solutions. (Solutions.com) I'll see if I can find it in one of my piles of catalogues (... !) and let you know.

Most chiropractors have access to many pillow companies; a good chiropractor might be able to help you figure out the best pillow for your needs.

(My sleep apnea was on the milder side, so after the CPAP I just gave up ...)

Good luck to you. I know how important good sleep is ...

*GG*

One of my unresolved issues is sleep apnea. Though it's classified as moderate to severe my oxygen level stays relatively high so that it doesn't affect my heart. I just don't sleep deeply. It seems pretty clear from various sleep studies that much of it is positional - that is I sleep much better on my side. I've tried CPAP and really struggled with it and I am not sure that it helped anyway. I recently tried a make shift dental appliance and it didn't appear to work. So now I am looking at pillows or other devices that help you sleep on your side. Has anybody else been through this? Can you recommend anything?

Do you take any scripts for sleep? I do and I use a VPAP. It's not the most comfortable, but I have been using it for a year plus, and I think my morning fatigue has decreased a lot, still would rather stay in bed, rather than wake up to an alarm and go to work. But it's a double edged sword, if I didn't still work, I would not have good insurance and would be even poorer.

GG

PS I finally got a longer tube so I can toss and turn in bed more now, good and bad thing.

fla

My sleep apnea doctor suggested the inexpensive idea of stitching a tennis ball into the back of a t-shirt. It will wake you up a couple times but you'll learn not to sleep on your back. If you google it you'll find comments by many people who have tried it. Haven't tried it personally though.

perchance dreamer

I have mild apnea, about 12 hypopneas an hour untreated. I use the TAP (Thornton Adjustable Positioner) dental device, and I now have fewer than 5 hypopneas an hour.

However, I must sleep on my side even with the TAP in place. If I sleep on my back, I go back to 12 hypopneas an hour.

The TAP has been a godsend for me. My sleep is much better now.

It must be fitted by a dentist although the patient can adjust it at home. There's a key you use to extend the jaw forward.

It takes a lot of patience because you must get your jaw used to the protrusion very slowly. I've advanced mine to the point where my upper and lower teeth meet when I'm wearing the device.

As far as a pillow goes, I love the Therapuetica. I learned of it from a couple of chiropractors.

It is quite firm, and for side sleeping it keeps your neck in just the right alignment.

Memory foam is great, but you sink into it gradually, thus losing alignment during the night.

The Therapuetica comes in different sizes. You measure from the base of your neck to the edge of your shoulder.

Petite is the proper size for me. That surprised me because I am tall and always fancied I had broad shoulders. I guess I'm not quite the bruiser I thought I was (har).

It takes a while to get used to the Therapuetica, especially if you have been using memory foam. You don't gradually sink into the Therapuetica. It remains firm, so your neck remains in correct alignment throughout the night.

I got mine from Amazon. You can look up reviews there. It's really helped with my neck pain.

I found the catalogue I had mentioned with the side-sleeper pillow. It's Herrington, not Solutions. (Although Solutions does have a lot of cool, handy stuff ...!)
HerringtonCatalogue.com ...
I'm going to look into the Therapeutica also ....
Good luck!